Welcome to Anime-Forums.com - Piercing the heavens, GIGA-A4-BRREKKAH

Valvrave the Liberator Season 2

The second season of laser space vampire high schoolers piloting suicidal mechs against space-nazis and space-USA.

Kill la Kill

Ryuko is searching for her father's murderer, her only clue half of a pair of giant scissors. She transfers into Honnoji Academy, a dystopian high school ruled by the student council who possess Goku Uniforms; uniforms imbued with super powers.

Pokemon Origin

A reboot/retelling of the original Pokemon game, featuring Red and Green as the protagonist and rival. Much grittier and truer to the Pokemon manga Adventures in tone and direction.

Kyoukai no Kanata

A pair of high schoolers, a half youmu boy and a girl who can wield blood magic, wind up involved in super natural events occurring in their town.

Hajime no Ippo Rising

Long awaited new season of the well-known anime and manga, about a young boxer named Ippo rising up through Japan's ranks, as he aims for a match against his rival, Miyata.

Space Dandy

The Dandiest Man in Space, Dandy, is an alien hunter searching for undiscovered species with his robot assistant QT and a cat alien named Meow.

Samurai Flamenco

An eccentric male model decides to become a super hero in order to become a hero of justice, despite having no super powers.

Anime-Forums is a web based community that hosts discussions on the topic of Japanese Animations with the primary focus of having content that is driven by the community. As a member, you're able to:

• Join Social Groups
  • Create a Personal Blog
  • Participate in Seasonal Banner Creations
  • Write Articles that appear on the main spotlight!

Dont have an account? Register

Default Looking for anime like Avatar last airbender, but more adult

I'm looking for adult animé (not adult as in R rated bloodiness that a 13 year old would like), but adult as in something an educated 40 year old would find intellectually stimulating, and just entertaining and magical in general, that also has high production values that match up to hollywood's production values. So not an obscure animé made by a group of five teenagers on a very small budget, but something with production values and english voice acting at least as good as the production values in Fullmetal Alchemist, and preferably even as good as Avatar the last airbender's production values.

Something I like about animé is the feel of endlessness and adventure, scale, epicness, and magic of there jsut being town after town that the group of protagonists visit, and romance between interesting, likable characters would be good too.

So really, to sum it up, an anime with the scale and adventure, and production values and pollish of Avatar the last airbender, but with more mature characters, more mature themes, better dialogue, and whatever else. Avatar for an adult. Although I'd settle for just another regular avatar type adventure too.

Can anyone recommend anything? Thank you.

Tbh i've never seen Avatar, but i would if you are looking for a good and long anime where you get to know and love the characters, want action and still want a little bit of comedy, i would recommend Bleach if you haven't already seen it

Xam'd: Lost Memories - A fantasy / action show that goes a bit further than plan action-flicks. High production values, "reasonably" complex story. A scifi / fantasy story about war.

Haibane Renmei - Since you're asking for something intellectually stimulating, this one is just that. It isn't something I'd recommend to Avatar / FMA and such as it contains no fighting or action, nevertheless this is one of the best executed "so called intellectual" anime I have ever seen. It's filled with symbolism and contains different, not always obvious layers to its story. The static animation isn't as smooth as newer series, but the dynamics are fluent and pleasant to watch.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Thanks for the recommendations. I haven't seen bleach yet and was planning on checking it out anyway. The Haibane one sounds interesting but for the static animation. That sounds like a deal breaker for me but I'll look into it anyway. Any other ideas people?

thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Emo17 View Post
    I'm looking for adult animé (not adult as in R rated bloodiness that a 13 year old would like), but adult as in something an educated 40 year old would find intellectually stimulating, and just entertaining and magical in general, that also has high production values that match up to hollywood's production values. So not an obscure animé made by a group of five teenagers on a very small budget, but something with production values and english voice acting at least as good as the production values in Fullmetal Alchemist, and preferably even as good as Avatar the last airbender's production values.

Something I like about animé is the feel of endlessness and adventure, scale, epicness, and magic of there jsut being town after town that the group of protagonists visit, and romance between interesting, likable characters would be good too.

So really, to sum it up, an anime with the scale and adventure, and production values and pollish of Avatar the last airbender, but with more mature characters, more mature themes, better dialogue, and whatever else. Avatar for an adult. Although I'd settle for just another regular avatar type adventure too.

Can anyone recommend anything? Thank you.
    While Avatar is made in the US, and its martial arts are are Chinese (not Japanese), I can't help but notice that many of the characters are drawn in an anime (or anime + western mix) style, and are NOT just completely western style art (like the original Marvel's X-Men cartoon on FoxKids). I think this means Avatar can be accurately called an "anime TV show". I'm not the only person who thinks this way. I was at a video store the other day looking for a DVD of Avatar. When I found it, it was NOT in the "cartoons" section. Instead it was in the "anime" section. So my suggestion is, if you want an "anime like Avatar" just go and buy Avatar itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Animedude5555 View Post
    While Avatar is made in the US, and its martial arts are are Chinese (not Japanese), I can't help but notice that many of the characters are drawn in an anime (or anime + western mix) style, and are NOT just completely western style art (like the original Marvel's X-Men cartoon on FoxKids). I think this means Avatar can be accurately called an "anime TV show". I'm not the only person who thinks this way. I was at a video store the other day looking for a DVD of Avatar. When I found it, it was NOT in the "cartoons" section. Instead it was in the "anime" section. So my suggestion is, if you want an "anime like Avatar" just go and buy Avatar itself.
    Oh yeah I know Avatar isn't anime, or it isn't made in japan anyway as far as I know. Maybe that's why I like it. The production values, animation, music, timing, pace, voice acting, etc are all much better than most the japanese animés I've seen. That's why I'm asking if there are any japanese animés out there like Avatar, or better.

Quote Originally Posted by Emo17 View Post
    Oh yeah I know Avatar isn't anime, or it isn't made in japan anyway as far as I know. Maybe that's why I like it. The production values, animation, music, timing, pace, voice acting, etc are all much better than most the japanese animés I've seen. That's why I'm asking if there are any japanese animés out there like Avatar, or better.
    If you read my whole post you'd see why I DO classify it as anime even though many would say it's not. I then proceed to say you should just buy Avatar iteslf, because it's (in my mind at least) an "Avatar style anime" itself.

Making all kinds of gains
    • Jun 2007
    • In your Noggin
    • Female

Hunter x Hunter would give you that adventure feeling your looking for, it's about a boy who goes looking for his father who is a hunter (In this world being a Hunter is the best job) on his journey he meets up with 3 other people who have their own aims, they continue their journey together helping each other out and getting stronger on the way by fighting many enemies, yes the main character is a kid, but it is not a kiddish anime and has very serious moments in it.

Spoiler

Default Well...

well i don't mean to put a damper on you, but you really won't find a series that's anything like avatar. i've watched hundreds of anime, i can't even count them, but i've never seen a show like it before. it is absolutely a phenomenal series that doesn't get enough credit. but if your looking for the element of the manipulation of the 5 elements then a series that is sort of similar is Kaze no stigma, however that show isn't that much more adult.

Default I got a good one fore you

Seirei No Moribito (The Guardian of the Sacred Spirit)

If you wish to read the synopsis: http://myanimelist.net/anime/1827/Seirei_no_Moribito

This is "an anime with the scale and adventure, and production values and pollish of Avatar the last airbender, but with more mature characters, more mature themes, better dialog," and yeah, "whatever else" too. Some of the dialog and intellectual depth of this show made me drool, it is more polished than Avatar in production value, and the maturity was very appealing to me. On top of it all it is a sweet one season - 26 episodes long (though you wish there were more when you finish).

Recommended: 11/10

(I made this "Newbie" account just to tell you about this anime, if that tells you how good it is)

Review from another fan: "... set in a mythical world... has its own intricate story line that actually follows sense, and politics. Great action scenes... (Seirei no Moribito has amazing ones)... highly entertaining and more 'mature' show."

Kiba has a few Avatar-like moments. Chrome Shelled Regios may be another hit for you. Utawarerumono is another that has aspects of war, martial arts, and adventure. Maybe Letter Bee, Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari, Jushin Enbu.

Quote Originally Posted by FullMetalFangirl View Post
    Elfen Lied. It is just like Avatar.
    ?????????

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pokemon View Post
    I love My Balls
    Quote Originally Posted by ^_Elysium_^ View Post
    Just trying to be a proactive member and keep things PG