Welcome to Anime-Forums.com - Piercing the heavens, GIGA-A4-BRREKKAH

Valvrave the Liberator Season 2

The second season of laser space vampire high schoolers piloting suicidal mechs against space-nazis and space-USA.

Kill la Kill

Ryuko is searching for her father's murderer, her only clue half of a pair of giant scissors. She transfers into Honnoji Academy, a dystopian high school ruled by the student council who possess Goku Uniforms; uniforms imbued with super powers.

Pokemon Origin

A reboot/retelling of the original Pokemon game, featuring Red and Green as the protagonist and rival. Much grittier and truer to the Pokemon manga Adventures in tone and direction.

Kyoukai no Kanata

A pair of high schoolers, a half youmu boy and a girl who can wield blood magic, wind up involved in super natural events occurring in their town.

Hajime no Ippo Rising

Long awaited new season of the well-known anime and manga, about a young boxer named Ippo rising up through Japan's ranks, as he aims for a match against his rival, Miyata.

Space Dandy

The Dandiest Man in Space, Dandy, is an alien hunter searching for undiscovered species with his robot assistant QT and a cat alien named Meow.

Samurai Flamenco

An eccentric male model decides to become a super hero in order to become a hero of justice, despite having no super powers.

Anime-Forums is a web based community that hosts discussions on the topic of Japanese Animations with the primary focus of having content that is driven by the community. As a member, you're able to:

• Join Social Groups
  • Create a Personal Blog
  • Participate in Seasonal Banner Creations
  • Write Articles that appear on the main spotlight!

Dont have an account? Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default top 10 favorite english dubbed anime?

hello ive been away for a long time but now im back haha well i have a question for you...
    what are your top 10 english dubbed anime series? ive only watched a few so heres mine.

1. case closed
    2. one piece
    3. ghost hunt
    4. death note
    5. kenichi the mightiest disciple
    6. yu yu hakusho
    7. samurai champloo
    8. claymore
    9. dragonball,dbz, and gt
    10. darker than black
    Last edited by detective johnny; 09-03-2010 at 09:13 PM.

R.i.p teresa of the faint smile

To be honest, I never really understood why some people are so hard on English dubs. They all sounds pretty good to me with the exception of a very few.

~~ Member of the Dragonball Club ~~
    ~~~ Android Division ~~~
    ~* Member of the Hunter X Hunter Club *~

Interested in a Fullmetal Alchemist Club?? PM Jariaya-senpai

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BeDaN View Post
    To be honest, I never really understood why some people are so hard on English dubs. They all sounds pretty good to me with the exception of a very few.
    yes i agree with you. like inuyasha characters like the fly he a dumb character so he has a dumb voice and shippo is a even worse character so it has a dumb voice. inuyasha's voice is perfect in english . i do not understand all the fuss....

R.i.p teresa of the faint smile

If you don't start off by watching/hearing it in Japanese you won't understand. The voice of a character and the translation of the script from Japanese to English changes the meaning and overall feel of the series. This is very evident in the Clannad dub... It is terrible... The jokes are very bland in the dub version because they don't translate well and the emotion just isn't there.

I only watch my anime in subs.

Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by SoFarEast View Post
    If you don't start off by watching/hearing it in Japanese you won't understand. The voice of a character and the translation of the script from Japanese to English changes the meaning and overall feel of the series. This is very evident in the Clannad dub... It is terrible... The jokes are very bland in the dub version because they don't translate well and the emotion just isn't there.
    I completely agree. The series just doesn't feel the same without all the original voices and wording. I heard the dubbed version of FMA and I couldn't believe how screwed up it sounded, it just wasn't the Ed and Al I knew. Also, I don't get how some jokes and expressions/exclamations can possibly translate, those are the things that make the shows great, but it really only works if its in japanese.

i enjoyed both hellsing and cowboy bebop in english :o

"This is the third world speakin, through a dead man walkin
    And everybody talkin bout the south's taking over
    It's true mutherfu***r but it's coming over the border
    F*** your chain, my people will kill you for water
    F*** fans *****, I got soldiers supporters"

Some dubs I like are Inuyasha, Yu Yu Hakusho, School Rumble, Fruits Basket, Dragonball series, Fullmetal Alchemist, Ranma 1/2, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Rurouni Kenshin, and Wolf's Rain.
    "Will Life ever stop playing games with my courage? My coldness upsets many, but it is my only security. How fragile is my heart if I am to face the world alone?" -Rei Ayanami

The interesting thing for me and I guess for some is I started out watching dubs(Ruroni Kenshin, Case Closed, Bleach, Naruto, DBZ, etc, coincidentally all of them were on Adult Swim or Toonami)

For Me now I love subs, I cant stand dubs anymore because I have watched the ones were they completely butcher the language and it doesnt flow...

It also depends on how well they talk, for some scenes, Japanese is perfect for soft-spoken scenes, whereas english is not.

Anyway:
    Ruroni Kenshin,
    Case Closed, ,
    DBZ,
    Dragonball

Thats it for me.
    NYUU! NYUU! NYUU! NYUU! NYUU! NYUU! NYUU!

have to disagree on claymore, I think Haberkorn killed roki, i mean im pretty sure they wanted it to be kind of annoying, but i found it SO annoying that it literally made me not want to watch the show. I mean that sounds harsh but thats how i felt. and i Started watching the show dubbed, so its not like i knew what the subs were like.
    I actually have (i think on this forum somewhere) posts were i talk about dropping Claymore because i wasnt into it, but it ended up being the dubs. i switched to subs and ended up loving the show and rocketing right through it .

Ghost hunt, while not bad, i wouldnt put into a "good" category either. Same as claymore, i got bored with the show, switched to the sub and loved it.. go figure that the emotions of the characters can realy make or break a show for me. .. reminds me i actually left ghost hunt in my pending category with only a few eps left.. oops

I think that for a dub to be "awesome" it needs to just be amazing. they have to make the voices really fit like a glove.

To me some shows that have pulled that off to the point where i actually will chose the Dub over the Sub are:
    Darker than Black
    Black Lagoon
    Macross II the movie
    Hellsing
    Cowboy Bebop
    Air Gear
    Appleseed
    Baccano!
    Blood the last vampire
    Code Geass
    Akira (i enjoy both the orig and the redo honestly)
    Street fighter II: the movie
    Straight Jacket
    Ghost in the Shell (movies and Stand Alone Complex)
    FLCL
    Kanon

Dubs that are about as good as subs with no clear winner imo:
    Blood+
    Ergo Proxy
    Gun X Sword
    Wolf's Rain
    Air
    Gantz

Shows that i will Not watch the dub because i have too many complaints:
    Soul Eater
    Clannad
    Claymore
    Ghost Hunt
    Beck (one of my fav animes ever, dont get me started about how they rewrote the songs, changed all the lines that were partially english and partially japanese, which then changed the tension, jokes, reactions to all of those lines.. and rewote a bunch of the script and and ... AHHHHH)

and im sure theres more i could put in each list.. , but without my anime list in front me and scanning through slowly, i cant remember 1/4 of what ive watched lol
    And you will shed tears of scarlet
    Quote Originally Posted by zombi View Post
    Though cuteness will get me every time. I am a sucker for cuteness. Also zombies.

I'm not really down with the SUB ONLY OMFG!!! crowd either. Granted, I've been watching anime since I was about three or four, and when you're three or four, you certainly don't start off watching them subbed, nor are you even aware that what you're watching is something entirely different than American cartoons... but... that being said, I think people are far too hard up on dubs. That doesn't mean I watch every anime dubbed, though, either, I have my standards. There are some anime that have been intentionally bastardized and their voice acting simply lazy, but I feel like more and more people are actually taking the time to put some real effort into dubbing and acting anime, with exception to the Disney Corporation (please stop destroying the old Ghibli films... your Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, and Ponyo dubs were fine... but why... why would you do what you did to Totoro?!) Also, the whole notion that things are taken out of context and the meaning behind things completely changed for the sake of dubbing is just not true anymore. While I'm sure it still happens occasionally, with things that are perhaps so Japanese that Western audiences can't even comprehend the wordplay and symbolism to even begin to properly dub it, studios are putting more and more work into actual research to make sure that they're keeping the anime as true to the original intentions as possible.

I would say that I watch about 90% of pre-2000's anime subbed (the other 10% are ones unavailable subbed) and about 40% of post-2000s anime subbed. The argument about "hearing the same voice actors over and over" holds a bit of water however... especially with the ever increasing monopoly on the industry by only a few companies.

Rant over. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by ugzz
    Beck (one of my fav animes ever, dont get me started about how they rewrote the songs, changed all the lines that were partially english and partially japanese, which then changed the tension, jokes, reactions to all of those lines.. and rewote a bunch of the script and and ... AHHHHH)
    Oh God, agreed. The entire dub is just awful.
    Twitter | Facebook | Last.FM | Twitch.TV

PSN: Another-Castle | Steam: calebnaquin

I usually like watching sub, but I like watching Dragon Ball with Dub.

Beli
    :
    415 PL:3500 HC:389 Hatsu Type: Enhancement

I think the best Dub work is Baccano hands down! OR samurai Champloo and Gundam 00

Higher quality Dubs
    Darker than Black
    GTO
    Blood +
    Desert Punk
    FMA
    and dam near anything produced by Bandi ent

Everyone Wears A Mask!

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Moon Stars View Post
    but why... why would you do what you did to Totoro?!)
    Have you seen Porco Rosso? Also TERRIBLE. but i agree that they did get some right.. I don't mind Princess Mononoke, and the ones you mentioned are decent. Castle in the sky wasnt too awful either.. went a little exteme with the "kid" voices at points, but it sort of worked..

Quote Originally Posted by D Morning Star View Post
    I think the best Dub work is Baccano hands down! OR samurai Champloo and Gundam 00

Higher quality Dubs
    Darker than Black
    GTO
    Blood +
    Desert Punk
    FMA
    and dam near anything produced by Bandi ent
    GTO?
    is that something or am i missing an acronym here?

Also, for anyone that wants to watch EDEN OF THE EAST. Funimation has released the first 2 eps Dubbed. and it is GOOOOOOOD. I just watched the first and i have to say that i have almost ZERO complaints.. which is Crazy rare for me. I am only those eps in, but even doing a side/side with the japanese i really am quite happy with that dub so far. everything is very fitting, the laughter and emotions feel awesomely natural. Its a bit early to do a full judgment, but i think we might have another A+ DTB or Baccano! quality dub on our hands with this one. If you havnt seen it yet, its a definite one to check out
    Though cuteness will get me every time. I am a sucker for cuteness. Also zombies.

GTO is Great Teacher Onizuka or something like that. I personally always watch dub and think dubs are much better than subs, but really neither is "better" since it's opinion.

1) Rurouni Kenshin
    2) Dragonball Z
    3) Hunter x hunter
    4) Samurai Champloo
    5) Blood+

The only "bad" dubs I've ever actually seen are Dbz Kai and Yugioh Gx.

Ah ok, ive heard of it, but not seen it.
    only thing with teacher in it ive watched through was please teacher, which the dub isnt bad but definitely isnt top 10 material

just a thought about eden of the east.. i wonder how they are going to do the few scenes where the english speakers dont get japanese and vice versa, in the first ep they were able to get away without it seeming awkward, but i wonder specifically about that cab ride.. if they do what beck did that sucks, cause beck just rewrote it all and removed all the emotions that were there and changed it up.

DearS
    Elfen Lied
    Pokemon
    The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzamiya
    Gunslinger Girl

cant really think of anything else atm.

I pull the trigger, the gun goes off, and your brains splatter all over the sand. The beach gets bloody and you get dead
    God i love Elfen Lied
    Elfen Lied Fans Click here
    Looking for a Windows7 Fix for Flyff?[Click Here]
    My Re: to Elfen Lied

I gotta say, this Xxxholic dub is actually quite good. Exceptional, even.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Moon Stars View Post
    I gotta say, this Xxxholic dub is actually quite good. Exceptional, even.
    agree to disagree
    i thought that haberkorn as Watanuki was OK in general talk, but when he was excited, distraught or anything i thought it was just so beyond annoying that it actually deterred my enjoyment of the show. no major complaints about the rest of the cast

I like DBZ' and Lucky Star's dub version.

Currently Listening To: "Been Caught Stealing" by Jane's Addiction!
    Things get better things get worse, Life's a blessing life's a curse!
    Current Weight: 253 pounds! Nothing new!

Quote Originally Posted by ugzz View Post
    agree to disagree
    i thought that haberkorn as Watanuki was OK in general talk, but when he was excited, distraught or anything i thought it was just so beyond annoying that it actually deterred my enjoyment of the show. no major complaints about the rest of the cast
    Heh, yeah, fair enough. I actually think his distraught voice is hilarious. Most annoying distraught (or any kind of excited at all) voice I've ever heard is Excel's... oh god.

Just in a random order....

10. Lucky Star
    9. Haruhi Suzumiya
    8. Code Geass
    7. Fma and Fma:Brotherhood
    6. Elfen Lied
    5. Cowboy Bebop
    4. Baccano!
    3. FLCL
    2. Bleach
    1. Death Note

Random Order
    1. Death note
    2. Yu Yu hakusho
    3. Samurai champloo
    4. Sragonball,dbz, and gt
    5. Claymore
    6. Blood+
    7. Ergo Proxy
    8. FMA
    9. Elfen Lied

10. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzamiya

I'm not the biggest fan of Dubs but i do watch the ones I can stand.

I don't really care if people prefer dubs over subs. I, myself prefer subs. I understand Japanese though, so I only check the subs when the anime starts launching off into really esoteric vocabulary >_> But there are some anime where the dubs are really stellar. I don't know if I can go up to 10, but I'll try!

1. Cowboy Bebop
    2. Hellsing
    3. Baccano
    4. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
    5. Shinesman
    6. Gensomaden Saiyuki
    7. Black Lagoon
    8. Kiki's Delivery Service

That's all I got.

I watch most of my anime as dubs (80% Dubs, 20% Subs). With this said I think this reason is I watch mostly anime released since 2000. The older dubbed anime to me seems like people just doing their jobs and put no feeling into it while the newer anime had actors that don't just come to work and read fast so they can get home.

1. Gundam (typical I know)
    2. Shakugan no Shana
    3. Vampire Hunter D (The original)
    XXXholic
    5. Tsubasa
    6. Chrome Shelled Regios
    7. Burst Angle
    8. Black Cat
    9. Fate/stay Night
    10. Trigun