Welcome to Anime-Forums.com - Piercing the heavens, GIGA-A4-BRREKKAH

Valvrave the Liberator Season 2

The second season of laser space vampire high schoolers piloting suicidal mechs against space-nazis and space-USA.

Kill la Kill

Ryuko is searching for her father's murderer, her only clue half of a pair of giant scissors. She transfers into Honnoji Academy, a dystopian high school ruled by the student council who possess Goku Uniforms; uniforms imbued with super powers.

Pokemon Origin

A reboot/retelling of the original Pokemon game, featuring Red and Green as the protagonist and rival. Much grittier and truer to the Pokemon manga Adventures in tone and direction.

Kyoukai no Kanata

A pair of high schoolers, a half youmu boy and a girl who can wield blood magic, wind up involved in super natural events occurring in their town.

Hajime no Ippo Rising

Long awaited new season of the well-known anime and manga, about a young boxer named Ippo rising up through Japan's ranks, as he aims for a match against his rival, Miyata.

Space Dandy

The Dandiest Man in Space, Dandy, is an alien hunter searching for undiscovered species with his robot assistant QT and a cat alien named Meow.

Samurai Flamenco

An eccentric male model decides to become a super hero in order to become a hero of justice, despite having no super powers.

Anime-Forums is a web based community that hosts discussions on the topic of Japanese Animations with the primary focus of having content that is driven by the community. As a member, you're able to:

• Join Social Groups
  • Create a Personal Blog
  • Participate in Seasonal Banner Creations
  • Write Articles that appear on the main spotlight!

Dont have an account? Register

Default Anime Similar to Clannad/Clannad After Story?

So ya... I've been Watching Clannad for a while now, and its been my favorite Anime for a while also . The thing is i'm almost finished with the second series, (Clannad After Story) and I would like some recommendations on Anime Similar to Clannad. Any Recommendations ??

I don't know if it's exactly the same or whatnot but Fruits Basket is one that comes to mind. It's a slow sad type anime.

Uvo-San, Can you hear it? The requiem we're offering you? -Chrollo Lucifer

​Thanks to AvataarAng and Kyouks for sig

• May 2011
    • Somewhere in that place they call the U.S
    • Female

When I think of clannad it always remind me of Kanon (2006) it's a great series you should go check it out

All I can think of is the other animes made by the people who made Clannad (Key Animation)
    There's Kanon, Air and Angel Beats!

You could also try Toradora

Ruler of the Prinny Squad <3
    • Jan 2009
    • Down by the bay where the watermelons grow.
    • Male

Air hasn't been mentioned and is a great anime from the same basic story type you're looking for.

Special A was a lot of fun the anime in a whole was great I enjoyed every second of it.

His and Her Circumstances has the light hearted feel and the drama you're looking for.

Honey and Clover is a nice slice of life anime that is fluffy and cute not too much drama but, I think you'd enjoy it.

So there's a few for you. Enjoy!

Signature and avatar by Shikinami_ \^_^/

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

I would pretty much second anything that has been suggested so far. You also might like ef-a tale of memories if you are more so liking the really dramatic sad parts of Clannad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baronichi
    Unless it's incest I don't care..
    Quote Originally Posted by Baronichi
    If you quote me on that I'll f***ing rape you.

I can't really recall any anime that's better than Clannad. If you like a series (although a recommendation from a friend of mine), go for ef- a tale of memories (as said by tpam). I've also read reviews about it in anime blogs and seems great.

If you like to watch a movie, try 5 Centimeters Per Second. It isn't exactly like Clannad, but honestly, it's how you can relate it to life, and the story of your love when you loved each other as kids (and how you look back makes seems more deeper but somewhat vague). It's not really the type to actually make you cry and cry like Clannad would, but I'd recommend you to watch it.

Thanks to Atomica from the
    Free A4 Signatures Thread

I think there is a nime called Kanon which is animated or made by the same people that made Clannad. I think Air is that to. Ef - tale of Memorise or Ef - tale of Melodies should apperently be good (seems like it got many fans). Angel Beats is recommended myself. I don't know that many more, maybe Toradora (haven't watched but people said it was good).
    One drama/romance/ little comedy and a bit more grown up anime is Nana. Not as cute as Clannad but the story is a bit more... like reality. Warning for grown up and mature! :P
    But Clannad and Clannad After Story is still the best!
    Death Note:
    Light- I take a potato chips.... and eat it
    Me - HE ATE IT WE ARE DOOOOMED! ====(/@.@)/

Ouran High School Host Club:
    Haruhi- "Senpai would you stop growing mushrooms in other peoples closets."
    Me- Yummy mushrooms... Wait, why shouldn't you grow muchromms inte others closets?

Have you seen Mister Despairs brother, Doctor Death?
    I'm In Despair! Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei left me in despair!

The main girl in Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu reminds me of Nagisa from Clannad to a tee. The show is very refreshing and light hearted. Definitely watch Kanon 2006, Air, Toradora, Shuffle!

I've watched both Ef-A tale of melodies and memories and as they aren't necessarily similar to Clannad, still a good watch.

I dunno about similar anime, but yanking out all your teeth and swallowing each one individually with a bucked of paint thinner is a similar experience.
    to clannad that it.

ChatterboxZombie is like, Dokuro-chans biggest NZ fan or something
    Pipirupirupirupipirupi~
    Interested in Anime Reviews? CLICK HERE

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterboxZombie View Post
    I dunno about similar anime, but yanking out all your teeth and swallowing each one individually with a bucked of paint thinner is a similar experience.
    to clannad that it.
    Well, it would make me cry about as much as Clannad, but I sure wouldn't love it as much ^_^

All the suggestions by everyone so far are exactly what I would tell you to watch. But, to rehash..

Clannad is one of my favorite anime, and I don't really think there's too many shows out there that top it in certain areas... but I'll try.

Toradora isn't really too much like Clannad, but it does have similarities. It's still good though (it's what I watched after Clannad)
    ef - a tale of memories is pretty good too. It sort of has that sense of sadness to it, and isn't funny, and it ends in a different direction. But it's still very good
    True Tears again, has that sadness feeling to it. Also not known for it's comedy, but the storyline is immaculate.
    Ouran Highschool Host Club is another good one. This one is pretty funny, although it's told from a very different view point.
    The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya if you haven't seen it already. Same sarcastic teenage male lead (always a favorite!). Only the main female is clearly psychotic.

I was pretty bored with Kanon, and Air was decent, but I value my recommendations and wouldn't jump to force it on you. Hmm.. other than that, nothing else comes to mind.

Well, matching Clannad in any way is very hard.
    Definitely try Angel Beats! by the same animation company though. And Kanon(2006) is really sweet and tear-jerking, like Clannad. It is also by the same animation company.
    If you want something with the same sense of comedy and sarcasm, plus loveable characters, great theme music, and sharp, bright animation, then go for The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. It is an ingenius anime. Make sure to watch all twenty-four or so episodes, and the movie is worth every bit of time and character development.
    Can I get an amen?

Quote Originally Posted by bamcclure View Post
    So ya... I've been Watching Clannad for a while now, and its been my favorite Anime for a while also . The thing is i'm almost finished with the second series, (Clannad After Story) and I would like some recommendations on Anime Similar to Clannad. Any Recommendations ??
    I would recommend watching:

- ai yori aoshi (****)
    - ai yori aoshi enishi (****)
    - h20 footprints in the sand
    - Please teacher
    - my bride is a mermaid (well this has more comedy in it and less emotional settings)
    - Shuffle!
    - Love Hina
    - Oh My Goddess!
    - Fruits Basket
    - Myself; Yourself
    - Saikano
    - Whisper of the Heart (MOVIE)

To name a few

I really liked Otome yokai zakuro. Decent romance, nice story, a great little anime all around, Very touching.

Created by norwegianmoose

HANASAKU IROHA: three generations of bloodline all working for a similar cause- to please the customer.And yeah it has good animation and a superb story-line.

I second HANASAKU IROHA Not as emotional as clannad, but still a good one.

Created by norwegianmoose

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuuji View Post
    All the suggestions by everyone so far are exactly what I would tell you to watch. But, to rehash..

Clannad is one of my favorite anime, and I don't really think there's too many shows out there that top it in certain areas... but I'll try.

Toradora isn't really too much like Clannad, but it does have similarities. It's still good though (it's what I watched after Clannad)
    ef - a tale of memories is pretty good too. It sort of has that sense of sadness to it, and isn't funny, and it ends in a different direction. But it's still very good
    True Tears again, has that sadness feeling to it. Also not known for it's comedy, but the storyline is immaculate.
    Ouran Highschool Host Club is another good one. This one is pretty funny, although it's told from a very different view point.
    The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya if you haven't seen it already. Same sarcastic teenage male lead (always a favorite!). Only the main female is clearly psychotic.

I was pretty bored with Kanon, and Air was decent, but I value my recommendations and wouldn't jump to force it on you. Hmm.. other than that, nothing else comes to mind.
    ohh yess! Ouran High School Host Club is a must watch! It's different but in a good way, it's light and enjoyable, full of laughs! I can't really think of anything that compares to Clannad, in my opinion for a slice of life cute anime it's probably the best, you could go a more adult route and try Paradise Kiss or Nana, both good, just for a mature audience and it can be over the top drama.

If it's your wish, I will follow you everywhere, even if your throne crumbles, and your shiny crown turns to rust, even if the bodies pile up endlessly, above the bottomless pile corpses. Beside you as you like softly down, I will be until I hear the words "Checkmate". ~Sebastian Michaelis ~ Individual 4 ~ A4's Greatest Villain <Right Here Lmao

Itazura na kiss i found was exactly like clannad, it even go pasts the high shool life and everything. i thoroughly enjoyed it!!! hope you will give it a shot!

Mahoraba , Itazura na Kiss (kind of) , Kare Kano , Daa Daa Daa...

My Blog and YouTube channel :3

Currently watching Sailor Moon