Welcome to Anime-Forums.com - Piercing the heavens, GIGA-A4-BRREKKAH

Valvrave the Liberator Season 2

The second season of laser space vampire high schoolers piloting suicidal mechs against space-nazis and space-USA.

Kill la Kill

Ryuko is searching for her father's murderer, her only clue half of a pair of giant scissors. She transfers into Honnoji Academy, a dystopian high school ruled by the student council who possess Goku Uniforms; uniforms imbued with super powers.

Pokemon Origin

A reboot/retelling of the original Pokemon game, featuring Red and Green as the protagonist and rival. Much grittier and truer to the Pokemon manga Adventures in tone and direction.

Kyoukai no Kanata

A pair of high schoolers, a half youmu boy and a girl who can wield blood magic, wind up involved in super natural events occurring in their town.

Hajime no Ippo Rising

Long awaited new season of the well-known anime and manga, about a young boxer named Ippo rising up through Japan's ranks, as he aims for a match against his rival, Miyata.

Space Dandy

The Dandiest Man in Space, Dandy, is an alien hunter searching for undiscovered species with his robot assistant QT and a cat alien named Meow.

Samurai Flamenco

An eccentric male model decides to become a super hero in order to become a hero of justice, despite having no super powers.

Anime-Forums is a web based community that hosts discussions on the topic of Japanese Animations with the primary focus of having content that is driven by the community. As a member, you're able to:

• Join Social Groups
  • Create a Personal Blog
  • Participate in Seasonal Banner Creations
  • Write Articles that appear on the main spotlight!

Dont have an account? Register

Default Playing 10-bit MKV files

Hi folks,

A lot of fansubbers are now starting to release 10-bit h264 encoded MKV's (also called hi10p). The problem is that you can open the files and hear the sound but the screen is frozen green or just the title screen. Typically they are encoded at 8-bit but 10-bit allows for higher color accuracy and therefor looks better. It also is able to maintain file compression equal to its 8-bit counterparts.

If you're on a Mac OS X Lion (like me) you'll need to use VLC 1.2 nightly build which is currently unstable but will play 10-bit MKVs. There's also a bug that plays the same video no matter which file you open unless you quit VLC completely and relaunch. Also Quicktime X even with Perian does not play MKVs at all. If you try it will prompt you to open with Quicktime 7 with Perian and that will work. Perian hasn't updated for OS X Lion yet, but they plan to.

For those on Windows using BSPlayer or VLC Windows let me know here if you can play 10-bit MKVs.

Cheers!

I haven't tested this at all, but after asking around for a codec which plays hi10p videos, I got pointed to this: http://www.cccp-project.net/

I
    prefer these solutions, since they typically make windows media player able to read the majority of video files, instead of downloading some stupid 3rd party player.

Yep, latest CCCP/MPC for windows plays it just fine, you're pretty much screwed if you play it on anything else right now, be it Boxee Box, Popcorn Hour, WDTV or alternative media player software like XBMC and GPU hardware acceleration like DXVA/VDPAU.

The entire reasoning for switching is kind of dumb too since the actual quality difference is negligible outside of really "dark" scenes. Most shows and scenes will only have visible differences like this but some scenes will show improvements like this which is a bit more noticeable.