Welcome to Anime-Forums.com - Piercing the heavens, GIGA-A4-BRREKKAH

Valvrave the Liberator Season 2

The second season of laser space vampire high schoolers piloting suicidal mechs against space-nazis and space-USA.

Kill la Kill

Ryuko is searching for her father's murderer, her only clue half of a pair of giant scissors. She transfers into Honnoji Academy, a dystopian high school ruled by the student council who possess Goku Uniforms; uniforms imbued with super powers.

Pokemon Origin

A reboot/retelling of the original Pokemon game, featuring Red and Green as the protagonist and rival. Much grittier and truer to the Pokemon manga Adventures in tone and direction.

Kyoukai no Kanata

A pair of high schoolers, a half youmu boy and a girl who can wield blood magic, wind up involved in super natural events occurring in their town.

Hajime no Ippo Rising

Long awaited new season of the well-known anime and manga, about a young boxer named Ippo rising up through Japan's ranks, as he aims for a match against his rival, Miyata.

Space Dandy

The Dandiest Man in Space, Dandy, is an alien hunter searching for undiscovered species with his robot assistant QT and a cat alien named Meow.

Samurai Flamenco

An eccentric male model decides to become a super hero in order to become a hero of justice, despite having no super powers.

Anime-Forums is a web based community that hosts discussions on the topic of Japanese Animations with the primary focus of having content that is driven by the community. As a member, you're able to:

• Join Social Groups
  • Create a Personal Blog
  • Participate in Seasonal Banner Creations
  • Write Articles that appear on the main spotlight!

Dont have an account? Register

Default Which relatively short Anime series should I start watching?

Hi, I am looking for something kind of similar to Death Note. Since there are less than 40 episodes then I could watch them all online (with my limited internet). I found Death Note to finish with a bang and kind of impacted me... It's also interesting because of the intellect various characters have, and the idea itself (a book which kills names of people written in it) is interesting...

I'm thinking about watching Monster, but I'm not sure if it will be as interesting as Death Note... I mean... a brain surgeon compare to the smartest 17 year old in Japan killing people... So does anyone have any recommendations?

Hello, welcome to A4. I have moved your thread to a more appropriate location if you haven't noticed.

Also as for recommendations, I'm not sure what kind of intellectual shows you want to watch. If you are looking for a lot of debating, discussing with some considerable amount of gore/blood shedding, Monster is a great start. It may start off slow, but it is definitely an interesting show to watch Tenma's struggle with Johan. The only complain I have is the series is a little too long for my taste. If you are looking for some crazy philosophy talk, you could try Kara no Kyoukai(They talk about stuff like paradox and origins). But this show requires A LOT of sitting around and figuring out what's going on. It's definitely not a show you can just skim through and call it a day.
    [3/29/2013 7:19:29 PM] sea ferret: LOL
    [3/29/2013 7:19:56 PM] sea ferret: I HEREBY ENDORSE THIS BROKEN LU
    [3/29/2013 7:20:05 PM] sea ferret: BEST SIMULWATCHER

Quote Originally Posted by Lelouch von Weeaboo View Post
    Hello, welcome to A4. I have moved your thread to a more appropriate location if you haven't noticed.

Also as for recommendations, I'm not sure what kind of intellectual shows you want to watch. If you are looking for a lot of debating, discussing with some considerable amount of gore/blood shedding, Monster is a great start. It may start off slow, but it is definitely an interesting show to watch Tenma's struggle with Johan. The only complain I have is the series is a little too long for my taste. If you are looking for some crazy philosophy talk, you could try Kara no Kyoukai(They talk about stuff like paradox and origins). But this show requires A LOT of sitting around and figuring out what's going on. It's definitely not a show you can just skim through and call it a day.
    Thanks for the welcome, and no I didn't notice, I just followed the link from my email
    Well, I like watching Detective Conan... but I haven't really started watching any other intellectual shows. I just watched a bit of the first episode of Monster. It does seem slow (so far)... I'll check out Kara no Kyoukai although Monster does look like it could be very interesting later on.

Edit: Does Kara no Kyoukai just have a collection of movies and no episodes? Just making sure before I get stuck into any movies...

so i take it from your writing that you like innovative anime huh.. then "code geass" is kinda cool.. story about rebellion against a power which had conquered 2/3 of the world, its 2 seasons of 26 episode each. next on the list will be "eden of the east" story about magic phone with 10 billion yen on it to serve your need to save japan. 11 ep + 2 movies. the last will be "steins;gate" and its cousin "chaos;head". former with its time-space continuum topic, and later on megalomaniac topic, simply put, former deals with 4th dimension, later deals with 5th dimension (imaginary numbers)

yup 4 titles that i regard highly in [innovative] tags.

Hiruma Yoichi, Eyeshield21. Manga, Volume 37 (last).

Quote Originally Posted by Almite View Post
    so i take it from your writing that you like innovative anime huh.. then "code geass" is kinda cool.. story about rebellion against a power which had conquered 2/3 of the world, its 2 seasons of 26 episode each. next on the list will be "eden of the east" story about magic phone with 10 billion yen on it to serve your need to save japan. 11 ep + 2 movies. the last will be "steins;gate" and its cousin "chaos;head". former with its time-space continuum topic, and later on megalomaniac topic, simply put, former deals with 4th dimension, later deals with 5th dimension (imaginary numbers)

yup 4 titles that i regard highly in [innovative] tags.
    I've read about Code Geass, I don't think it interests me but I think I'll end up watching it some time just to see what I really think of it... and Eden of the East sounds interesting I think I might watch that first actually, seeing as it is only a very short series...

Quote Originally Posted by excalibureater View Post
    You should see Gungrave, its great
    I looked it up and it looks good... sounds very interesting I will put it on my list...

Definitely try FLCL it is funny and very good. It is only 6 episodes so I would recommend it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FLCL_episodes

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibolg View Post
    Definitely try FLCL it is funny and very good. It is only 6 episodes so I would recommend it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FLCL_episodes
    FLCL is just overrated in my opinion, I hated the anime.

^My 1st thought:

My 2nd thought:

Everyone has there own opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazalincho View Post
    I looked it up and it looks good... sounds very interesting I will put it on my list...
    It takes a while to get into but its worth a watch, great plot, character development, its an all around great anime

Quote Originally Posted by excalibureater View Post
    You should see Gungrave, its great
    I also looked into Gungrave is it really that good? it sort of looks corny...

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibolg View Post
    I also looked into Gungrave is it really that good? it sort of looks corny...
    Trust me by the end of the anime you will be crying your eyes out, its one of the few anime that actually made me shed a manly tear :')

I'd say Elfen Lied..

Quote Originally Posted by iko baliko View Post
    I'd say Elfen Lied..
    That and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.

As many have already recommended; Elfen Lied and Gungrave.

high school of dead short yet sick and so is blackrock shooter and blood c

fooly cooly (6 eps) or nyan koi (12 eps)

Baccano is the best 13 episode anime out there(16 if you include OVA, which you should) so watch it and enjoy.

Id say Serial Experiments Lain because its so different from every anime out there. Gotta pay close attention to this one though, you can miss a lot in a couple of minutes.

Stick with Monster. Ive been watching it and it is every bit of a gripping story. The surgeon is one of the most intriguing lead characters ive come across in a while. If you are looking for shorter series though it might be a little much with it being 74 episodes.

FLCL is only 6 episodes so despite people thinking its overrated it will not cost you much time either way. With that said, I believe it is very funny and a good anime. I totally recommend it.

I agree with Code Geass too just because of the similarities in the main characters.
    Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

"This drill will open a hole in the universe, and that hole will be a path for those behind us. The dreams of those who have fallen, the hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weaved together into a double helix drilling a path towards tomorrow. And that's Tengen Toppa! That's Gurren Lagann! My drill is the drill, that creates the heavens!"~ Simon

Thanks everyone! I have actually been watching Clannad... I don't know who recommended it to me or how I found out about it, but I'm on the 17th episode and I love it I can't wait to watch these other recommendations. I've made a ordered list of the ones I'm interested in which I plan to watch.

If you want a really short anime watch 'School days' it has about 12 ep. tho. I suggest you look you the genre tho. because this anime isnt for the faint hearted...
    "People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" or "true"? Merely vague concepts… their "reality" may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?"

Hmm...Durara if you haven't already heard of it I don't know if it actually counts as an intellectual anime but it's a pretty good story if you pay attention

Monster is an awesome anime and you should give it a try...even thought its not really short in comparison...

Durarara is another awesome one you should try if you havent already...and i agree with School Days...its not for the fainted hearted but it sure has quite the impact