Welcome to Anime-Forums.com - Piercing the heavens, GIGA-A4-BRREKKAH

Valvrave the Liberator Season 2

The second season of laser space vampire high schoolers piloting suicidal mechs against space-nazis and space-USA.

Kill la Kill

Ryuko is searching for her father's murderer, her only clue half of a pair of giant scissors. She transfers into Honnoji Academy, a dystopian high school ruled by the student council who possess Goku Uniforms; uniforms imbued with super powers.

Pokemon Origin

A reboot/retelling of the original Pokemon game, featuring Red and Green as the protagonist and rival. Much grittier and truer to the Pokemon manga Adventures in tone and direction.

Kyoukai no Kanata

A pair of high schoolers, a half youmu boy and a girl who can wield blood magic, wind up involved in super natural events occurring in their town.

Hajime no Ippo Rising

Long awaited new season of the well-known anime and manga, about a young boxer named Ippo rising up through Japan's ranks, as he aims for a match against his rival, Miyata.

Space Dandy

The Dandiest Man in Space, Dandy, is an alien hunter searching for undiscovered species with his robot assistant QT and a cat alien named Meow.

Samurai Flamenco

An eccentric male model decides to become a super hero in order to become a hero of justice, despite having no super powers.

Anime-Forums is a web based community that hosts discussions on the topic of Japanese Animations with the primary focus of having content that is driven by the community. As a member, you're able to:

• Join Social Groups
  • Create a Personal Blog
  • Participate in Seasonal Banner Creations
  • Write Articles that appear on the main spotlight!

Dont have an account? Register

Question English Visual Novels or Dating simulators? PSP

I dont really know what there called. If youve seen the world only god knows then you know what im talking about. I ve played some before but i had to guess on every single one. Idont speak japanese

You'd be pretty hard pressed to find a VN english release on psp bro.
    Don't get me wrong there are literally dozens of visual novel and eroge adaptations that've been released on the system, it's a large aspect of why the console has become to popular in Japan.

However these are pretty much always restricted to japan only release, and I personally havent heard much about overseas releases, let alone full blown translations for psp VNs.

Luckily though the psp is a manipulable and easily modded machine, and it's got a large community of modders/adapters who've used the system to extend their options in terms of games and media.

Find yourself a good psp community who know their stuff, and try and track down yourself a VN.
    Finding an English patch will be the tricky part.

ChatterboxZombie is like, Dokuro-chans biggest NZ fan or something
    Pipirupirupirupipirupi~
    Interested in Anime Reviews? CLICK HERE

Alright this seems to be the correct place to ask, what exactly is a visual novel? i mean judging by the name alone is it just an interactive book? How does it actually work?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian the Korean View Post
    Now I am become BlackTemplar, the destroyer of worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh Snap. View Post
    I had a pizza slice yesterday that had so much oil on it, I was half expecting BT and Volk to kick in the door and try and invade it.
    I have seen things that even your darkest nightmares could never prepare you for. Not only that, I have killed them, and made horror itself stare into the eyes of death. -Warmaster Xander The Blood Born

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTemplar View Post
    Alright this seems to be the correct place to ask, what exactly is a visual novel? i mean judging by the name alone is it just an interactive book? How does it actually work?
    Well I have used a few for PC. Basically it is an interactive book with pictures and some visuals and sounds.

Wikipedia's definition: A visual novel (ビジュアルノベル bijuaru noberu?) is an interactive fiction game featuring mostly static anime-style graphics, or occasionally live-action stills or video footage.As the name might suggest, they resemble mixed-media novels or tableau vivantstage plays.

So do you get to pick and choose different decisions as if you were a character in the story? Later influencing the outcome of the end result or the overall story itself?

I had a pizza slice yesterday that had so much oil on it, I was half expecting BT and Volk to kick in the door and try and invade it.
    I have seen things that even your darkest nightmares could never prepare you for. Not only that, I have killed them, and made horror itself stare into the eyes of death. -Warmaster Xander The Blood Born

So do you get to pick and choose different decisions as if you were a character in the story? Later influencing the outcome of the end result or the overall story itself?
    Sometimes like in the Shuffle! visual novel it will occasionally give you an option and then later that will affect who you end up with. If you did not know Shuffle! is a harem and in the visual novel you play as the male

yes, a 1st rate visual novel, apply butterfly effect very well. i.e. you miss an event on day 15, for example will result in death of character C, thus making conquering girl D impossible, as C is D's brother she become shocked and closed her heart after his death. to save C you need to do this and that in day 5 or day 10 so that the main character on day 15 is at home. that sort of stuff.

something like "sakura wars" franchise is a good example of good visual novel mix with rpg and strategy. in strategy phase, when a mecha get destroyed, the character may die LOL and my possibly close down path of heroines.

if you play visual novel without walk-through you will dumbfounded of the frequency of bad ends.. yes, the most famous aspect of visual novel that many found detestable is the instant death.. famous being called death flag, you did not notice for example, by rejecting girl B's request in day 10, she will not help you in your upcoming battle in day 20 for example. but if you accept her request, girl D will get jealous and wont help you in day 20, often you need to find a way for these two girls to help you on day 20 to progress the story ~.~

detecting death flag, love flag, and event flag, is a talent.. sometime people just cant find where the hell is the death flag/love flag for character B. there were even flag hunting specialized forum for Japanese otaku i think.

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE VISUAL NOVEL W00T
    Last edited by Almite; 02-09-2012 at 12:57 AM.

Hiruma Yoichi, Eyeshield21. Manga, Volume 37 (last).

^I like visual novels too but it is a pain in the ass to find English patchs...

ah i forget to say, there are two kinds of visual novel, one i call pure visual novel, there is only option route and huge amount of text to read.

the second is hybrid visual novel, there are lots of text to read, but in between story progression or intermission they over you some sort of break with rpg/strategy element. things like "eien no aselia" is an example of visual novel incorporating kingdom strategy theme. "utawarerumono" is a good example of visual novel tactical rpg title, and "tears to tiara", an Visual novel rpg title

these hybrid sometime are troublesome.. there is this one mahjong VN where you need to win the game to progress the story.. you will find yourself playing the game over and over and over until you are luckily won and you quickly SAVE LOL. then read a bunch of texts option route which sometime may make your enemy go easy or super hard on you.. ugh those kind of VN are not what i like >< the variant would be like tennis, poker, the most famous is i guess trading card version one. thus the reference made "to the world god only knows" <- he played this kind of game which sometime insanely difficult made by company who did not test their product.

Hiruma Yoichi, Eyeshield21. Manga, Volume 37 (last).

A good visual novel game is Corpse Party for the PSP. Check it out, as its one of the few...if not the only VN Horror titles to come out so far....and although it is super wordy....like most visual novels, its actually pretty good.

Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by dunndolo View Post
    A good visual novel game is Corpse Party for the PSP. Check it out, as its one of the few...if not the only VN Horror titles to come out so far....and although it is super wordy....like most visual novels, its actually pretty good.
    Its really good. But my personal opinion... It isnt a game you would play 24/7. I stoped playing, sadly, after a few wrong ends.

Remember my name!
    ブライアン

This is the first I'm hearing of them and they sound pretty fun! Does anyone know about macs a VN that will work on them I have an OSX lion ( new MacBook pro)
    Fawxii Original

Quote Originally Posted by Kenta_Usui View Post
    This is the first I'm hearing of them and they sound pretty fun! Does anyone know about macs a VN that will work on them I have an OSX lion ( new MacBook pro)
    If you know japanese there are some...

Remember my name!
    ブライアン

Anyone know a good dating sim for the pc? =D Like one that has different end games/paths etc?

Didnt know these things even existed an hour ago, seems fun!

Anyone know a good dating sim for the pc? =D Like one that has different end games/paths etc?

Didnt know these things even existed an hour ago, seems fun!
    Same thing I thought... But I got bored. But maybe because I was playing some bad ones.

Yes, I dont like Dating Sims.

Remember my name!
    ブライアン

~Well, I have the Clannad and Kanon Visual novels :3 If you liked them amines, then go look it up, you can download it for free.

~"Remember that you are mortal."

Quote Originally Posted by Shog View Post
    ~Well, I have the Clannad and Kanon Visual novels :3 If you liked them amines, then go look it up, you can download it for free.
    Do you know if its compatible with Mac. I love clannad !!
    Fawxii Original

Quote Originally Posted by Kenta_Usui View Post
    Do you know if its compatible with Mac. I love clannad !!

~No idea about macs sorry. ^^' Not a big fan of macs, so I don't really know xD

~"Remember that you are mortal."

So since were just talking about VNs here, Cherry Tree High and Analogue: A Hate Story are now available on Steam. Well, CTH will be available in the new few weeks anyway!

Pretty exciting to see the genre becoming available on such a widely used platform and distribution service.