Welcome to Anime-Forums.com - Piercing the heavens, GIGA-A4-BRREKKAH

Valvrave the Liberator Season 2

The second season of laser space vampire high schoolers piloting suicidal mechs against space-nazis and space-USA.

Kill la Kill

Ryuko is searching for her father's murderer, her only clue half of a pair of giant scissors. She transfers into Honnoji Academy, a dystopian high school ruled by the student council who possess Goku Uniforms; uniforms imbued with super powers.

Pokemon Origin

A reboot/retelling of the original Pokemon game, featuring Red and Green as the protagonist and rival. Much grittier and truer to the Pokemon manga Adventures in tone and direction.

Kyoukai no Kanata

A pair of high schoolers, a half youmu boy and a girl who can wield blood magic, wind up involved in super natural events occurring in their town.

Hajime no Ippo Rising

Long awaited new season of the well-known anime and manga, about a young boxer named Ippo rising up through Japan's ranks, as he aims for a match against his rival, Miyata.

Space Dandy

The Dandiest Man in Space, Dandy, is an alien hunter searching for undiscovered species with his robot assistant QT and a cat alien named Meow.

Samurai Flamenco

An eccentric male model decides to become a super hero in order to become a hero of justice, despite having no super powers.

Anime-Forums is a web based community that hosts discussions on the topic of Japanese Animations with the primary focus of having content that is driven by the community. As a member, you're able to:

• Join Social Groups
  • Create a Personal Blog
  • Participate in Seasonal Banner Creations
  • Write Articles that appear on the main spotlight!

Dont have an account? Register

Default Good visual novel games for the PC and/or PS2?

What are some good visual novels for the PS2 and PC? I like the ones that allow you to make some decisions though.

also where can I buy imported games from?

http://katawa-shoujo.com/
    Not very decision-heavy, but fantastic nonetheless. There's enough decision making to warrant bad endings. It's also free.

I have been grabbing them whenever I can, and the ones I remember playing and liking are:

Katawa Shoujo: As mentioned above. Very superb, in my top 3 for sure. I just finished it recently, now I suffer the "no more Hanako" depression, lol.
    Ever 17: Totally awesome. You must play all routes to get the true end, and it's well worth the time investment.
    Fate/Stay Night: Needs no introduction
    KiraKira: Music club story. Flavors of K-ON, just more down-n-dirty in the club music scene and stuff
    Tsukihime: Another good one. I love anything with vampires lol
    Brave Soul: RPG like. You actually have to fight and stuff
    Ai Yori Aoshi: Amusing little adventure, pretty light weight
    A Drug That Makes You Dream: Interesting story of 3 f'ed up girls
    Come See Me Tonight: If I'm remembering correct, story of a guy who becomes an apprentice cook
    Family Project: Interesting, if lengthy
    Kana Little Sister: Keep tissues around and get ready for man-tears lol
    Saya no Uta: Awesome thriller/guro type story
    Katawa Shoujo: Freakin awesome, even more so when you realize it's just fan made
    Let's Meow Meow: Anthromorphic. Light on story, heavy on adult content, but was amusing
    Moero Downhill Night: Wasn't too bad, about street racing
    Princess Waltz: Very good, kinda reminded me of F/SN
    Shuffle: Another that needs no introduction
    Snow Sakura: Can't remember much about it at all, but I know I liked it lol
    Tears to Tiara: Awesome RPG/combat style game
    The Sagara Family: Like Meow Meow.. not a heavy story, basic harem story but it wasn't bad
    Wanko to Kurasou: More anthromorphic cuteness

Unsure how VN saavy you are, just figured I should point out almost all the ones I listed have adult content. Ever 17 has none at all and Katawa Shoujo lets you disable it.

PS, an invaluable resource for visual novel fans is the Visual Novel Database - vndb.org. You can search by platform, language, tags, all sorts of stuff; very handy.
    I've only been wrong once in my life, and that's when I thought I was wrong... but I was mistaken.

Yeah, Katawa Shoujo owns:

Spoiler

I'd also recommend G-Senjou no Maou. It's the Death Note of visual novels. Lot of suspense and mystery elements, the main character is a miserly jerk in general, but eventually becomes sympathetic as more of the plot is revealed. Some really crazy **** goes down as the plot progresses and Maou is introduced, along with a girl named Haru who has a past with Maou that the main character ends up involved with. Three "main" heroine routes with some bad endings that are pretty ****ing depressing, but the final "true" route with Haru is definitely worth the effort.

-

I see no one's recommended [b]Muv Luv[b] either, which I just recently finished. It's essentially three separate games tied together by the same characters, although sadly the first one, Muv Luv Extra, I found a bit hard to get into and slog through. It's mostly comedy hijinks in a high school setting with some really over the top moments, such as a 60 foot limo racing against the physics teacher in a sports car. Two main heroines in it unlock the second game, Muv Luv Unlimited, but there's also four other routes with three of the classmates and one of the teachers. They end up being a lot more dramatic and less comedic, but they were pretty decent if you enjoyed the game.

Anyway, Muv Luv Unlimited takes place in what seems to be an alternate universe from the one Extra is set in. In this world, an alien species (BETA) has invaded the Earth and taken over pretty much all of Eurasia, as well as having wiped out all but one billion people. However, Japan didn't "lose" WWII, nukes weren't used on it, and technology advanced much faster leading to a moon base back in the 50s or 60s, and exploration of Mars, which is how the alien species was discovered. The BETA had weapons that made jets and aerial combat useless, so mechs were developed and are the primary weapon used against the invaders. Japan also ended up being attacked and two BETA "hives" are located on the islands, although one was retaken and is where the game pretty much starts. Takeru (the main character) ends up looking around thinking he's dreaming and finds his school replaced with a UN military facility, run by his former physics teacher who's a high ranking scientist in this world. He ends up joining the military and is placed in a training squad with the heroines from the previous game. It's a really well done story although the routes/endings are pretty similiar, mostly just switching out the heroines specific lines and characters. It's mostly just a lead in to the third game, though.

Which would be Muv Luv Alternative. MLA owns. A lot. Your character basically finds himself suck in a Groundhogs Day situation, where he's placed back in time in the BETA world, waking up in the same place on the first day, but with all of his experiences and memories seemingly intact. So your pretty much trying to change the outcome from the previous game and save the world, this time with a hell of a lot more knowledge and skill thanks to the previous experience. It gets really depressing as it progresses but I found it really well done and a great finale to the whole series.

-

While Tsukihime and Fate Stay/Night have both been mentioned, I'll expand on them a bit. They're both by the same author, Nasu and technically take place in the same universe. Really no relation between the two otherwise though, aside from a few organizations existing in them both.

Tsukihime came out before FSN, and the main character, Shiki Tohno, is a high schooler who experienced some traumatic event early in life and was hospitalized for quite a while. After that he could see "lines" on people and objects; pretty much anything he looked at. And by cutting those lines, he would "kill" whatever they had been on. So if he traced the lines on his hospital bed, it'd fall apart utterly destroyed, and obviously if he used it on a living being they would likewise pass away immediately. Fortunately a wandering magician gave him some nerd glasses that prevented him from seeing the lines while wearing them, so he's able to live a normal life.

Anywho, skip ahead a few years, he's in high school, there's some murders going on in town being blamed on vampires because of how the victims died, which is ridiculous because vampires don't exist right? Anyway, he winds up involved with a vampire hunting vampires and that's pretty much the jumping off point for the whole thing. Great story, great characters, I think it's got five routes though it's been a while since I've played, and three of them branch off fairly early on so you've got a pretty massive storyline going on. Definitely recommend it.

-

Fate Stay Night came out afterwards and is centered around an event called The Holy Grail War, a battle between seven magicians and their servants for this mystical artifact that can grant any wish supposedly. The main character, Shirou Emiya, is seemingly about as far removed from magic and supernatural events as you could possibly imagine, outside of surviving a horrible fire that took out the middle of the city years earlier. Anywho, he gets wrapped up in it, somehow manages to summon a servant of the Saber class and teams up with one of his classmates to unravel whats going on and attempt to win the thing to try and put a stop to it so he can protect everyone.

Three route game, and they're each very unique from one another splitting off really early on. First route is the Fate route, where his servant, Saber is the focus, second route is Unlimited Bladeworks and focuses more on Tohsaka Rin, his classmate and her servant, and the third route is Heaven's Feel and focuses more on another classmate and close friend, Sakura. Aside from different heroines, the biggest difference between the routes is Shirou himself. In the first route he sticks close to his naive and fairly ridiculous ideal of being able to save everyone without sacrifices, in the second route he takes more of a save the many while sacrificing a few, and the third route is pretty much saving who/what is important to him regardless of the cost. It's a really interesting development for the character and helps make each of the three paths storylines feel that much more unique from one another. You do have to go through them in order, but the latter paths are built upon some of the info revealed in earlier paths so it's not too bad. Plus there's scene skip, so it's pretty quick to get up to the next path after completing one. Also, there's like 40 bad endings that are all pretty hilarious and worth watching just for the "Tiger Dojo" segments that attempt to help you correct the mistake that lead to that bad ending.

I will contribute with "SWAN SONG" for pure visual novel. story about post apocalyptic, i am interested in the title because I am a fan of "disaster report franchise" it is about survival after a disaster. the downside is that it is pretty linear. if you are someone who enjoy analyzing and detecting flags, then the fun is minimal. on the bright side, this visual novel is kind to those new to visual novel.

for hybrid visual novel with other elements, i recommend "eien no aselia", "aselia the eternal" pretty cool kingdom tactical game, with great storyline. unfortunately the H-removed version also removed one path, the demonic path, but that path is pretty depressing and disturbing so it is cool to lose the path.

regarding "saya no uta", that title is pretty disturbing and extreme, so extreme I actually stopped reading several times, before I finished it. I believe one of mild guro genre. if you do not know about guro genre, that is good, guro portray the imagined dark side of humanity you would rather not know. i categorize it as mild guro, but beware, the genre as whole are sick (at least in my opinion)
    Last edited by Almite; 02-16-2012 at 09:37 AM.

Hiruma Yoichi, Eyeshield21. Manga, Volume 37 (last).

Quote Originally Posted by Almite View Post
    regarding "saya no uta", that title is pretty disturbing and extreme, so extreme I actually stopped reading several times, before I finished it. I believe one of mild guro genre. if you do not know about guro genre, that is good, guro portray the imagined dark side of humanity you would rather not know. i categorize it as mild guro, but beware, the genre as whole are sick (at least in my opinion)
    Yea, same here. Guro isn't my thing, I just liked the storyline. You know you're going to be playing a game with some sick imagery when it has an option to darken those scenes, lol.
    I've only been wrong once in my life, and that's when I thought I was wrong... but I was mistaken.

Fate/Stay Night(No words can describe it)
    Katawa Shoujo
    Drug That Makes You Dream(Specially this one even its demo version impressed me imagine how the real Novel(Visual) is)

Thanks to my lovely bloody.rose

Please Dont Click it

don't click this link...

Just finished Saya no Uta, Planetarian and Kira-Kira, which were all great!

Saya no Uta was incredibly depressing but a really interesting character piece. Just a fascinating look at what humanity actually means, along the lines of the original Frankenstein story.

Planetarian was incredibly short but another interesting take on what it means to be human, especially in the face of catastrophic circumstances. While it didn't have a happy ending really, it was uplifting in it's own way thanks for the main character managing to regain some hopes in a hopeless world.

Definitely could see some of the K-On vibes from Kira-Kira that I'd seen mentioned, but there was a lot more to the story thanks to the characters. Honestly, it reminded me more of Beck in a way, that same kind of amateur band working their way up through the ranks story. Music was top notch, lots of good rock tracks and the humor was pretty amusing, especially when they were learning to be "punks" in the beginning. Was a nice

I'm currently playing Little Busters! EX

And it's great! It's comedic, sad, cute, it's just wonderful! There's also mini-games that you can play as the story progresses or opt out on. It's a ton of fun.

It's basically a story about a group of childhood friends who try to put a baseball team together, and go about doing "missions" and battling it out for the rank 1 among the group, you can join in these comedic battle sequences based on your stats you can win and give the opponent some random title, or if you lose your friend will give you a comedic title.

I'm about 5 hours into it and it's great, I even read it at school when I have time xD

Quote Originally Posted by IantheKorean View Post
    Definitely could see some of the K-On vibes from Kira-Kira that I'd seen mentioned, but there was a lot more to the story thanks to the characters. Honestly, it reminded me more of Beck in a way, that same kind of amateur band working their way up through the ranks story. Music was top notch, lots of good rock tracks and the humor was pretty amusing, especially when they were learning to be "punks" in the beginning. Was a nice
    Did you play through the sequel? I have yet to, it's on my list of to-dos. Alas, that list keeps getting longer and longer heh.

Do any of the visual novels let you explore in a 3d environment? or...

Has anyone played Green Green?
    Last edited by Ian the Korean; 02-20-2012 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibolg View Post
    You shouldn't expect that of a VN any more than you expect it from reading a book. The experience of going through a visual novel is extremely similar to reading a book, with the exception of being presented with branching decisions, scenery, and character drawings. Very few add much else as far as I know, but I do know of some that incorporate minigames.

^I kind of figured :P

It is kind of annoying me that I cannot find visual novels that easily. On amazon they have very few and some are $100 plus. Even some that are cheaper are not available in English and patches are a hit and miss thing... even the torrent sites have almost none or they are unseeded =.=

Quote Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
    Did you play through the sequel? I have yet to, it's on my list of to-dos. Alas, that list keeps getting longer and longer heh.
    Nope! I didn't know there was a sequel, guess I'll have to look for a translation patch.

I haven't played it yet, but I have the english patch. If you can't find it, PM me and I can point you in the right direction.

For those who played Katawa Shoujo, stumbled across this on their forums, gave me a chuckle:

Sweet thanks! Might take you up on the offer if I can't find it.

Awesome video. Speaking of Katawa Shoujo, here's some awesome crossover fanart:

Spoiler

As for recommendations, I've only played two. KS is well documented here. I made a blog about the one I just found yesterday, Narcissu. It's very dry, but in an oddly compelling sort of way. And its music fits the sad tone really well. I wrote a synopsis in the blog post.

If we're posting fan stuff, I found this yesterday as well. Katawa Shoujo: Sympony of the Feminists!!!!!
    Step into the shoes of a tie-slinging Kenji as you seek to overthrow the vampire lord, Lilly. Good little piece of Castlevania nostalgia. http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/590343

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibolg View Post

Has anyone played Green Green?
    explore in 3d? the closest i can think of is fate/extra, that is sort of visual novel-ish, tho more to game than visual novel. and what kind of 3D are you talking about? pixel shader type? or completely 3d like in final fantasy 13?

well, if you want the game to focus on exploring 3d, you should get a game instead of visual novel. the best visual novel can offer you in 3d maybe seinaharukana. the sequel of eien no aselia i recommended above. if only seinaharukana has been released in english i would recommend it, but unfortunately it still in Japanese, but just a glimpse of the latest hybrid visual novel that incorporate some kingdom strategy (the kingdom view is 3d) the fight is also 3d ish.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH3k8pZYVxE if you want to check it out, i am waiting for the lousy ass developer to translate it into english BOOO. that is why guys, buy 'eien no aselia' LOL

seinaharukana

eien no aselia

Hiruma Yoichi, Eyeshield21. Manga, Volume 37 (last).

^I mean 3d not like wear you wear glasses so it comes at you. I mean like where you can walk around in a open world.

Well Demonbane was kind of a mixed bag. On one hand, the story overall was pretty decent, the mech battles were great, the setting and Cthulhu mythos were a nice change of pace from a lot of other VNs, the music was phenominal and the art was pretty good too. On the other hand, every sex scene being a rape scene was pretty awful. I mean, given the fact that it was a Lovecraftian story I was fully expecting some vile stuff to happen to characters, including rape, but it was just all handled really poorly. The bit with Atlach-Nacha was the most excusable, but then the **** with Cthuga and Ithaqua was just beyond dumb. And it just continued downhill from there.

Every sex scene involving the heroines was really disappointing and off-putting, given that it was always the main character forcing himself onto an unwilling woman until she eventually relented and just went along with it. I mean it's not like I was expecting a masterpiece or something, but it shouldn't be that hard to write a scenario between lovers that's mutually agreeable. I just don't really enjoy having the story take nosedives like that every single time the author feels a need to inject another pointless sex scene. Especially when the characters and their backstories were interesting enough on their own.

Only other complaint was that I did feel like the story stagnated a bit during the attack on the Hadou base by Anticross until the final showdown at the end. I realize there were still a number of bad guys that needed to be taken care of, but it just dragged on and on. The endings were what I was expecting and none of the plot twists surprised me, but the story was decent overall. Not sure I'd recommend it to anyone though, it wasn't as strong say the Muv-Luv saga or the Nasu stories, but I'll definitely have several musical tracks from it stuck in my head for a while.

everybody knows wants to know what
    • Nov 2003
    • i'm the greatest tag team ever

Katawa Shoujo made me feel things I shouldn't feel for two dimensional crippled girls.

My kawaii Lilly-sama...

Though when I found out about where in Scotland she's linked to I was asklsdsdfg that's ten miles down the road from me.