Welcome to Anime-Forums.com - Piercing the heavens, GIGA-A4-BRREKKAH

Valvrave the Liberator Season 2

The second season of laser space vampire high schoolers piloting suicidal mechs against space-nazis and space-USA.

Kill la Kill

Ryuko is searching for her father's murderer, her only clue half of a pair of giant scissors. She transfers into Honnoji Academy, a dystopian high school ruled by the student council who possess Goku Uniforms; uniforms imbued with super powers.

Pokemon Origin

A reboot/retelling of the original Pokemon game, featuring Red and Green as the protagonist and rival. Much grittier and truer to the Pokemon manga Adventures in tone and direction.

Kyoukai no Kanata

A pair of high schoolers, a half youmu boy and a girl who can wield blood magic, wind up involved in super natural events occurring in their town.

Hajime no Ippo Rising

Long awaited new season of the well-known anime and manga, about a young boxer named Ippo rising up through Japan's ranks, as he aims for a match against his rival, Miyata.

Space Dandy

The Dandiest Man in Space, Dandy, is an alien hunter searching for undiscovered species with his robot assistant QT and a cat alien named Meow.

Samurai Flamenco

An eccentric male model decides to become a super hero in order to become a hero of justice, despite having no super powers.

Anime-Forums is a web based community that hosts discussions on the topic of Japanese Animations with the primary focus of having content that is driven by the community. As a member, you're able to:

• Join Social Groups
  • Create a Personal Blog
  • Participate in Seasonal Banner Creations
  • Write Articles that appear on the main spotlight!

Dont have an account? Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The best rpgs you've ever played.

I dunno if this thread is already here or not but, what's your top RPGs that you ended up playing over and over without getting bored of it(any platform).

As for me, these are the games that i've completed at least four times.

Mana Khemia: Alchemist of Al revis
    Mana Khemia Student Alliance
    Mana Khemia 2
    Disgae
    Disgaea 2
    Disgaea 3
    Wild Arms 5
    Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix
    Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
    Persona 3 Fes
    Persona 4
    Yggdra Union
    Riviera
    Final Fantasy XII
    Final Fantasy VII

If i were to say, these are the masterpiece.( I don't know much about RPGs for PS3 since I just bought a PS3 'bout a month ago)

Final Fantasy Crisis Core
    Kingdom Hearts Series
    Persona 3.
    Persona 3P and
    Persona 4
    Final Fantasy 7

Thanks to my lovely bloody.rose

Please Dont Click it

don't click this link...

Kingdom Hearts is not a RPG, because action-RPGs don't exist.

My favourite JRPGs:
    Final Fantasy IX
    MegaMan Battle Network series
    Mother 3
    Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

Mass Effect/ topic.
    We are just 'one' within the 'all.' But only when those 'ones' gather together can 'all' exist. - Edward Elric.

Chrono Trigger > Mass Effect

Baldur's Gate
    FF6
    FF7
    FF12
    Rondo of Swords
    Disgaea
    Demon's Souls
    Pokemon
    Shadow Hearts 2
    Baten Kaitos Origins

My favorite RPGs are actually ones that I've never played, but watched. It was probably better that way.

Mother 3
    FF10

These three aren't my favorites for the gameplay, (which is still good) but for the story. They each speak for themselves if you've ever played them. There's also lots of unexplained hate for FF10...I don't get it. Literally the only things I could imagine off the top of my head are linearity, and Tidus being a little annoying.

oh, and I suppose I liked various pokemon games when I was younger. Earthbound is also worth mentioning, but not as much as Mother3

Nice lists brahs.

My all time favorit strategy RPG is FFT. The story is intricate and deep, the class system is extremely flexible and allows people to play in various ways, the music score fits very well with every scene. Tactics is the best Final Fantasy game.

Planescape:Torment is the best story driven RPG period. There is so much discription and diologue that you could fill an entire book. You can have realistically flowing conversations that last more the 30 minutes. The combat is mediocre, but it's such a small part of the game that it can be forgiven.

Suikoden 5. What do you get when a company listens to the fans of the original games and gets back to the root of what made their games great? A really enjoyable Suikoden game. Suikoden 5 is neck in neck with 2 for me, but since I only played 2 once (borrowed from a friend), I have to give a slight edge to 5. Most of the 108 characters have a solid place in the storyline and the plot is actually interesting.

Vampire:Bloodlines. I'm a big fan of White Wolf pen and paper RPs. Troika made an outstanding CRPG set in the World of Darkness universe to satisfy my inner geek. You can choose one of the major clans and your gameplay will change accordingly. A Malk will be treated as a lunatic and will have conversations with a stop sign. A Nas will have to slink through the sewers and will be treated with scorn by other "civilized" undead.

I think my list would consist of something like:

Mother (NES)
    Shining Force III
    Chrono Cross
    Tactics Ogre
    Grandia II
    Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
    Shenmue

Don't really want to go into details as to why, but these are the ones that left that certain "feeling" after finishing them and were pretty damn to fun to play too.

The thing I miss most about the older games like Baldur's Gate 1-2, FFV, FFVI, or FFT and why I think I liked them so much is how hard you can just not care about how the combat was supposed to work. The player is essentially given free reign to just completely break the game in their favor. Bonus points for the Baldur's Gate series for the whole child of a god thing to help flesh out your RPG feel goodness while you're murdering everything.

Newer games don't really have that. They seem dead focused on keeping combat playable no matter what so never give the player a chance to 'win' against the game while playing it. I suppose that's more because developers don't want players to be able to dig themselves into a hole with poor decisions, because if a game let's you play it optimally the reverse is also true and there are scenarios that result in the players' team being complete dogshit useless.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGXzlRoNtHU

WATCH WHILE READING MY POSTS FOR FULL EFFECT

OR DON"T AND WATCH ME NOT CARE

I love classic RPG's aswell as newer RPG's but I am defianatley one for old school RPG's so hers my top 5 In order from Worst (not really worst just worst out of these 5 but still extremely good) to best

5.Earthbound
    4.Mass Effect 2
    3.Fallout 3
    2. Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic (old game NOT the MMO)
    1. Pokemon Blue (Gameoy Colour)

Pokemon will always and forever be in my opinion the GREATEST RPG of all time and the one I choose is the Gen 1 game I played as a child Pokemon Blue
    "Symmetry is my art"

Death The Kid - Soul Eater

Catherine and Pokemon.
    #Less pale, more pail.

Whoooaaaaa!!!!!
    There's still many great RPG'S out there...

BTW, I forgot other two titles

1. Grandia 3
    2. Shadow Hearts From The New World

Well, Pokemon is a must though.....

1. Pokemon
    A very fun game, been playing it for over a decade and how the elements have advantages and disadvantages over each other makes the game so fun.
    2. Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the 7 Stars
    This is my first RPG, I played it in 1996 and I now have it on my Wii, Bowser is a good guy in this game plus it has awesome VG music.
    3. Paper Mario
    Another fun Mario RPG game for N64. It came out in 2001 and added timed-precision to make extra damage. Plus the story line was nice.
    4. Lord of the Rings: The Third Age
    A fun PS2 (and other systems) game, it covers all 3 movies and has like 100 something scenes from the movies that you unlock at an allocated time. The characters you play as were minor characters from the series, but you can play as Gandalf, Aragon, Legolas, Gilmi, and others in a couple of battles. You also get to battle famous villains from the series like Balrog, Grima Wormtongue, The Witch-King, and even battle the Eye of Sauron at the end. Plus there's an 'Evil Mode' that let's you play as the villains and kill off the heroes for you can collect cool weapons for the heroes in the main game.
    5. Yume Nikki (technically)
    Yume Nikki is an indie game from Japan that allows you to play as a hikkimori named Madotsuki and explore her dreams, she has some crazy dreams with creepy, scary, but cool surrealist art and you encounter many odd creatures from a phallic looking rainbow thing with a face rubbing a pole, to beaked girl which some of them chase you, to a creepy demon-like thing called an Uboa. In Madotsuki's dreams, she looks for 25 effects which gives her powers like stabbing (knife effect), speed (bike effect), and freezing creatures in their place (stoplight effect). A very fun game but a scary one so be careful if you play it at night... and don't keep flipping on and off the light-switch.
    6. Disgaea
    I have this game on DS and it's pretty fun, the RPG is set differently and the platform is like a chessboard and even the way you move, attack, and the power of your attack is determine by your location. It has a lot of funny moment with characters like the cocky Laharl, the sassy Etna, and all those Prinnies... dood. I also like other characters like Mid-Boss and Flonne. The level up system is neat and the currency is called Hell. You can build a team and it even has a lot of post game events that can go on like forever.
    Last edited by Lily Hardcore; 04-18-2012 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Because Struggler and the other staff ain't nothing to fck with.

Currently Listening To: "Been Caught Stealing" by Jane's Addiction!
    Things get better things get worse, Life's a blessing life's a curse!
    Current Weight: 253 pounds! Nothing new!

Let the sea fill your lungs
    • Jun 2010
    • From the North Country
    • Male

I was about to delete all of the list posts short of the OP when I realized that the thread would be left with only two non-OP posts, so I didn't bother. The list posts stop here, though.

NO LIST POSTS. THEY'RE SPAM. IF YOU DON'T CARE ENOUGH ABOUT YOUR OWN POST TO ACTUALLY EXPLAIN THINGS, HOW CAN YOU EXPECT ANYONE TO GIVE TWO SH*TS ABOUT WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY AND BOTHER READING THEM?

Any list-only posts after this point get deleted and their posters infracted. kthxbai

Go now. Our journey is done. And may we meet again, in the clearing, at the end of the path. ^____^
    8/6/12 Never Forget | #atleastididntcyberadude | 8/21/13 also Never Forget

Sorry, I only posted in reaction to the Mass Effect thing and otherwise wouldnt have bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by umberhulk2 View Post
    Sorry, I only posted in reaction to the Mass Effect thing and otherwise wouldnt have bothered.
    To be fair it is quite overrated.

Far as Western RPGs the only ones I ever cared for really were the newer Fallout games. Don't ask why I can't get in to Elder Scrolls games as well. I really don't know. I guess I just prefer the setting. I did like Neverwinter Nights.

My favorite JRPG is without a doubt Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. It's a hard choice between all the SMT games but I just love the mob breeding and the themes in the game.
    Twitter | Facebook | Last.FM | Twitch.TV

PSN: Another-Castle | Steam: calebnaquin

Dragon Warrior/Quest 7 is still one of the best RPG's. It was so good(IMO), from the hours of being lost in a temple before your first fight, to the classes, advanced classes, the very interesting and original story line, to getting to have your own city that changes based on who you let live there. <3 You even get to kill god. Such an amazing game.

Also Tales of Destiny. It was the first RPG I played where you actually made your character run around in combat, and not just wait for your turn.The story might not be a great as others though.

Quote Originally Posted by Struggler View Post
    I was about to delete all of the list posts short of the OP when I realized that the thread would be left with only two non-OP posts, so I didn't bother. The list posts stop here, though.

NO LIST POSTS. THEY'RE SPAM. IF YOU DON'T CARE ENOUGH ABOUT YOUR OWN POST TO ACTUALLY EXPLAIN THINGS, HOW CAN YOU EXPECT ANYONE TO GIVE TWO SH*TS ABOUT WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY AND BOTHER READING THEM?

Any list-only posts after this point get deleted and their posters infracted. kthxbai
    Sorry 'bout that. I'll take note of that.

Anyway, back to the topic.

I see that there're many Disgaea fans out here. I've completed Disgaea 2 about 6 times already. You know how they make the level cap at 9999 and the reincarnation system and don't forget about the item world. These things keep making me want to strengthen my character more and more. And the storyline's really great(with humor elements).

But on top of all............ are there any Mana Khemia fans out here?
    This game is really great, with a unique grow book system that differs from any other RPGs which mostly use the normal level-up system.
    And I think it's storyline got a full mark in my rating that sometimes I wonder- It'd be nice if they make an anime outta this one.

Final Fantasy 3. IMO it is the best Rpg period for nintendo. Great story, the first introduction of multiple class changes, and pretty damned hard. I just hated that you get lost reallllllllllllllllllllly easily in this game.

Illusion of Gaia - Very good action/Rpg with a great story and very good soundtrack

Final Fantasy 5,6 - Who doesnt love these games? I didn't like 4 because it was too much of a depression/love fest for me. Yeah go ahead and hate me for it.

Star Ocean - Great game if only I could ever finish it.

Final Fantasy 7, 9 - Who doesn't love these? Great stories, multiple sidequest, and unforgettable characters.

Legend of Dragoon - Game Soundtrack was really good, story was meh at moments, but I really loved the addition system. Wish there was a part 2.

All the tales series - Im a big tales fan so Ive played almost all of them except for Abyss, Tempest, Hearts, Graces, and Sypmphonia 2.

Star Ocean 2 - Somewhat better than the first game but the story was somewhat lovey dovey.

Star Ocean Til the end of time - The best star ocean IMO.

Baldurs gate 1 & 2. - Pretty deep games but somewhat broken given the fact you can make your character damn near godlike.

Megaman Command Mission - I think its the only true Megaman RPG. I liked it alot and thought it was a pretty decent game. I guess alot of people beg to differ.

Grandia 1 & 2 - Great rpgs that had a different battle formula than others. I never played 3 but I hear its okay as well

Breath of Fire 3. - IMO the best of BoF games. Great story. Good soundtrack. Great characters.

The World Ends With You - The best DS RPG ever created. Seriously. Its a whole different style of Rpg based off Music, Pins, food, and clothing trends. Soundtrack is awesome, characters are unforgettable, story is deep and full of twist, and the game has great replayablility value.

Meh I have alot more but I honestly dont feel like typing them out so ill leave it here.

Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by dunndolo View Post
    Final Fantasy 3. IMO it is the best Rpg period for nintendo. Great story, the first introduction of multiple class changes, and pretty damned hard. I just hated that you get lost reallllllllllllllllllllly easily in this game.

Illusion of Gaia - Very good action/Rpg with a great story and very good soundtrack

Final Fantasy 5,6 - Who doesnt love these games? I didn't like 4 because it was too much of a depression/love fest for me. Yeah go ahead and hate me for it.

Star Ocean - Great game if only I could ever finish it.

Final Fantasy 7, 9 - Who doesn't love these? Great stories, multiple sidequest, and unforgettable characters.

Legend of Dragoon - Game Soundtrack was really good, story was meh at moments, but I really loved the addition system. Wish there was a part 2.

All the tales series - Im a big tales fan so Ive played almost all of them except for Abyss, Tempest, Hearts, Graces, and Sypmphonia 2.

Star Ocean 2 - Somewhat better than the first game but the story was somewhat lovey dovey.

Star Ocean Til the end of time - The best star ocean IMO.

Baldurs gate 1 & 2. - Pretty deep games but somewhat broken given the fact you can make your character damn near godlike.

Megaman Command Mission - I think its the only true Megaman RPG. I liked it alot and thought it was a pretty decent game. I guess alot of people beg to differ.

Grandia 1 & 2 - Great rpgs that had a different battle formula than others. I never played 3 but I hear its okay as well

Breath of Fire 3. - IMO the best of BoF games. Great story. Good soundtrack. Great characters.

The World Ends With You - The best DS RPG ever created. Seriously. Its a whole different style of Rpg based off Music, Pins, food, and clothing trends. Soundtrack is awesome, characters are unforgettable, story is deep and full of twist, and the game has great replayablility value.

Meh I have alot more but I honestly dont feel like typing them out so ill leave it here.
    You really should try GRANDIA 3. Although I have to admit that this one's a lil' bit harder than the older ones. But apart from that the graphic's improved quite a bit. And other than that, the plot's pretty good.

Fed to the Rancor.

• Apr 2003
    • Ask if you want
    • Male

Lets see

Shining Force II: My first taste ot TRPG and it was amazing I think I was my first taste but it wasn't as good nor memorable as II
    Lufia II: One of my most memorable RPGs as a kid I didn't play I until years later and I can't say I missed much by missing out on it
    Baldur's Gate: All of it just amazing
    Final Fantasy Tactics: I have played through this game so many times and maxed out the clock on saved files many times one of the best RPGs I have ever played
    Final Fantasy VII: Was a return to RPG for me as I had moved away from them for a while or many I played didn't hold my intrest enough
    Front Mission 3(or was it 4): A solid TRPG that reaffirmed it as one of my favorite sub-genres and this time with Mechs!

I can really just go on and on listing awesome RPGs of various types that I love and part of why I love them its just such a massive list so for the rest of this Im just going to list off the remaining RPGs I can recall

Valkyria Chronicles, Folklore, Borderlands, Dragon Age: Origins & Awakening, Mass Effect 2, Neverwinter Nights + Expansions, and Super Mario RPG. I am sure I have left off many and I could go into so much on each one so feel free to question me about any particular one.

Side note: I still play NWN online on a persistent world which is heavily modified and amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by ProtoManX View Post
    Lets see

Shining Force II: My first taste ot TRPG and it was amazing I think I was my first taste but it wasn't as good nor memorable as II
    Lufia II: One of my most memorable RPGs as a kid I didn't play I until years later and I can't say I missed much by missing out on it
    Baldur's Gate: All of it just amazing
    Final Fantasy Tactics: I have played through this game so many times and maxed out the clock on saved files many times one of the best RPGs I have ever played
    Final Fantasy VII: Was a return to RPG for me as I had moved away from them for a while or many I played didn't hold my intrest enough
    Front Mission 3(or was it 4): A solid TRPG that reaffirmed it as one of my favorite sub-genres and this time with Mechs!

I can really just go on and on listing awesome RPGs of various types that I love and part of why I love them its just such a massive list so for the rest of this Im just going to list off the remaining RPGs I can recall

Valkyria Chronicles, Folklore, Borderlands, Dragon Age: Origins & Awakening, Mass Effect 2, Neverwinter Nights + Expansions, and Super Mario RPG. I am sure I have left off many and I could go into so much on each one so feel free to question me about any particular one.

Side note: I still play NWN online on a persistent world which is heavily modified and amazing.
    Yeah lufia was a pretty good game. I just hated that it was a serious grindfest though. Not as much as Dragon quest but I would give it a solid 2nd place in that dept.

Spoiler

1. Paper Mario (series)- Fun and cool art style coupled with great story telling
    2. Lunar the Silver Star Story- Again, an amazing story driven by exceptionally fun combat and bosses
    3. Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic (non mmo)- Great quests and super fun combat coupled with making your own flippin lightsaber.
    4. Borderlands- Shooter+RPG+retardedly fun story, gameplay, and art style
    5. Elder Scrolls (series)- Gets an honorable mention based on solely the amount of time I've put into all the games.
    6. Fire Emblem (series)- Love rts, love the art style, and really enjoy the weapon mechanics.
    7.Pokemon (series)- Always a must play whenever a new one comes out, gotta catch em all bro.
    8. Dungeon Defenders- Extremely in depth, fun concept of tower defense with rts, hack and slashy enough to keep interesting
    9. Kingdom Under Fire (series)- A bit lower on the rpg scale and more towards rts but a great pick if your into either

Quote Originally Posted by Ian the Korean View Post
    Now I am become BlackTemplar, the destroyer of worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh Snap. View Post
    I had a pizza slice yesterday that had so much oil on it, I was half expecting BT and Volk to kick in the door and try and invade it.
    I have seen things that even your darkest nightmares could never prepare you for. Not only that, I have killed them, and made horror itself stare into the eyes of death. -Warmaster Xander The Blood Born

1. Diablo 2 - Played it more and for more years than any other RPG
    2. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Was a million times better than Skyrim as far as Entertainment level of doing quests and stuff.
    3. Skies of Arcadia
    4. Radiata Stories
    5. Shadow Hearts 2
    6. City of Heroes: Freedom - Its free to play online now!
    7. Ragnarok Online - Rebirth RO server
    8. Tales Of Symphonia
    9. Super Mario RPG
    10. D&D
    Signature Created by: Varjokettu

Well Im not that big a fan of RPGs anymore but if I had to pick some of my favorites it would have to be Legend of Dragoon and Drakengard <- Its considered an action RPG for those who don't know. So yes lets start with Legend of Dragoon, what to say about this game that doesn't say for itself? Well not really but still it was one of the first and really on games I ever had on Ps1 besides FF7. The game and story was utterly amazing, IMO, with the different elemental abilities and the character development that got you really attached to them. I didn't ever beat the game due to losing discs and not playing it till yearsss later after I already had it. Stupid on my part. Then there was Drakengard for the Ps2. A mute dragon flying, sword wielding, magic blasting badass. I was just in love with this game flying on my dragon blowing up enemies by the score then jump into the swirling melee with all sorts of weapons. That was one of the reasons I loved the game so much was going out searching for different weapons and leveling them up plus the levels and enemies were riveting.

Beat it raw
     Spoiler