Welcome to Anime-Forums.com - Piercing the heavens, GIGA-A4-BRREKKAH

Valvrave the Liberator Season 2

The second season of laser space vampire high schoolers piloting suicidal mechs against space-nazis and space-USA.

Kill la Kill

Ryuko is searching for her father's murderer, her only clue half of a pair of giant scissors. She transfers into Honnoji Academy, a dystopian high school ruled by the student council who possess Goku Uniforms; uniforms imbued with super powers.

Pokemon Origin

A reboot/retelling of the original Pokemon game, featuring Red and Green as the protagonist and rival. Much grittier and truer to the Pokemon manga Adventures in tone and direction.

Kyoukai no Kanata

A pair of high schoolers, a half youmu boy and a girl who can wield blood magic, wind up involved in super natural events occurring in their town.

Hajime no Ippo Rising

Long awaited new season of the well-known anime and manga, about a young boxer named Ippo rising up through Japan's ranks, as he aims for a match against his rival, Miyata.

Space Dandy

The Dandiest Man in Space, Dandy, is an alien hunter searching for undiscovered species with his robot assistant QT and a cat alien named Meow.

Samurai Flamenco

An eccentric male model decides to become a super hero in order to become a hero of justice, despite having no super powers.

Anime-Forums is a web based community that hosts discussions on the topic of Japanese Animations with the primary focus of having content that is driven by the community. As a member, you're able to:

• Join Social Groups
  • Create a Personal Blog
  • Participate in Seasonal Banner Creations
  • Write Articles that appear on the main spotlight!

Dont have an account? Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Massive Ego And I'm Never Wrong
    • Apr 2012
    • Two Steps from Hell
    • Male

Default Top 3 Dubbed anime

If you had to pick which would be your top 3 best dubbed anime. The reasons can range from anything from voice acting to just a better understanding in English. I am curious to see which are most named. My personal top 3 have to be:

3. Death Note
    2. Baka and Test
    1. Tears to Tiara

I'll explain why I picked Tears to Tiara for my number 1. I really enjoyed how they showed the many different ascents to the people from different lands, although the anime itself wasn't in my top favorites the voice acting and way they approached such a board anime was very well done.

Just my thoughts.
    Arrow

I would say

1. Dragon Ball Z
    2. Baccano
    3. FMA: Brotherhood

Reasons. Dragon ball Z, have your heard the Japanese voices XD. Baccano, it takes place in America, I think that Americans should do the voices. For Fullmetal Alchemist, just because I didn't really have a problem with any of the voices. I liked most of them actually.
    Last edited by CallMehChip; 04-17-2012 at 02:54 AM.

Of the ones I've seen dubbed it'd have to be...

1. FMA: Brotherhood
    2. Ouran High School Host Club
    3. Full Metal Panic!

Off the top of my head i would say top 3 are

3. Spice and Wolf
    2. FMA Brotherhood
    1. Baccano!

Spice and Wolf did not have a large cast and honestly it did not need it. Majority of the show is just the 2 lead characters talking to eachother and its easily the best dialouge ive seen in an anime. Holo especially is amazing in the English dub and if you are a fan of English dubs watch it and you will see.

Theres a reason people mention FMA: Brotherhood. The dub cast is completely stacked from top to bottom and they all deliver very convincing performances. Vic Mignogna is basically known to anime fans because of how good he was as Ed but when you throw in Mustang, Armstrong, Scar, Lust, the first Greed, and just about everyone in the except maybe alphonse you have a really good dub.

Baccano! is just the best dub ive heard. Whether it was a well known voice actor giving creative entertaining voices to Isaac, Miria, Firo and Ennis or it was a no name voice actor giving an amazing voice to Ladd Russo, they nailed every voice and accent in the series in a way that made the series entertaining and memorable.
    Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

"This drill will open a hole in the universe, and that hole will be a path for those behind us. The dreams of those who have fallen, the hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weaved together into a double helix drilling a path towards tomorrow. And that's Tengen Toppa! That's Gurren Lagann! My drill is the drill, that creates the heavens!"~ Simon

Kind of a clone of this, however that thread was last updated 3 months ago and it was made in 2010 so no one can really blame you for not knowing about it, but use the search next time XP

Anywho my top 3 are:

3. Romeo X Juliet
     Spoiler

2. Wolf’s Rain
     Spoiler

1. Baccano!
     Spoiler

• Apr 2012
    • Two Steps from Hell
    • Male

Now I feel completely stupid. I completely forgot about Baccano!. I will agree with everyone who put it in there top 3 it was greatly done and very well adapted to English. Pure, amazing, voice acting.

Just my thoughts.
    Arrow
    Last edited by Arrow; 04-17-2012 at 02:51 PM.

There's only one anime I can stick the dub of and that's Dragonball Z, any others I've heard make me feel sick. The Majority (to me all really) of dubs the voice actors are crap.

I dunno if its just me, but If I've seen it in japanese I can not watch it dubbed xD

I prefer Dubbed yes, *hides in shame* if I cant find it dubbed i'll watch but i prefer dubbed its just I love some anime dubbed because of the feeling some voice actors have and I think I show that in my list:

1. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

2. Dragon Ball Z (Japanese Goku makes me want to break things)

3. Soul Eater (I've seen both Sub & Dub but I just love the comedy scenes which are brilliant in English and I think Soul & Maka are really really good )
    "Symmetry is my art"

Death The Kid - Soul Eater

• Apr 2012
    • Two Steps from Hell
    • Male

Quote Originally Posted by Green Bird View Post
    Kind of a clone of this, however that thread was last updated 3 months ago and it was made in 2010 so no one can really blame you for not knowing about it, but use the search next time XP

Anywho my top 3 are:

3. Romeo X Juliet
     Spoiler

2. Wolf’s Rain
     Spoiler

1. Baccano!
     Spoiler
    My bad. Still kinda new and didn't think about it. Thanks for the help, I shall search before posting next time.

Just my thoughts.
    Arrow

• Apr 2012
    • Two Steps from Hell
    • Male

Quote Originally Posted by Death_The_Kid View Post
    I prefer Dubbed yes, *hides in shame* if I cant find it dubbed i'll watch but i prefer dubbed its just I love some anime dubbed because of the feeling some voice actors have and I think I show that in my list:

1. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

2. Dragon Ball Z (Japanese Goku makes me want to break things)

3. Soul Eater (I've seen both Sub & Dub but I just love the comedy scenes which are brilliant in English and I think Soul & Maka are really really good )
    A knew you would Death I just knew it. Soul Eater is very good in English and had an amazing casting team, they really can do a good dub it would be in my top 20 for sure.

Just my thoughts.
    Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Exiles View Post
    There's only one anime I can stick the dub of and that's Dragonball Z, any others I've heard make me feel sick. The Majority (to me all really) of dubs the voice actors are crap.

I dunno if its just me, but If I've seen it in japanese I can not watch it dubbed xD
    Not picking on you, but I detest this sentiment. I really don't think all dub voice actors are "crap." They're all quite good at their craft, and are hard working people who need a paycheck just like you and I.

I actually find that I enjoy dubs more often than not now. The only thing that bugs me is hearing the same voices over and over.

Some that I can barely separate from the dub are:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Cowboy Bebop

There are more, particularly any done by Bandai.
    Twitter | Facebook | Last.FM | Twitch.TV

PSN: Another-Castle | Steam: calebnaquin

Quote Originally Posted by XERITH! View Post
    Not picking on you, but I detest this sentiment. I really don't think all dub voice actors are "crap." They're all quite good at their craft, and are hard working people who need a paycheck just like you and I.

I actually find that I enjoy dubs more often than not now. The only thing that bugs me is hearing the same voices over and over.

Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Cowboy Bebop

I understand what you mean, but I just really don't think that most dub actors put much emotion into their parts. Obviously this is just my assumption from anime I've seen dubbed and that's a particularly low amount of anime because I usually only check the dub out of curiosity. Many of the anime you have all said I've never seen dubbed so I can't comment. But one anime in particular I hated the dub for was Clannad. Some people say its pretty well done but really I just think the actors were lacking in comparison to the Japanese voice actors. Also the way the dub actors say the Japanese characters names wrong just plainly annoys me.

Again, All of that is just my opinion and I'm aware I lack the experience / Knowledge to actually condemn all Dub as a whole and I apologise if you were offended by what I said previously =/

None taken friend. My fiancÚ is a voice actor in training so I'm understandably connected to the issue is all.

And don't worry. All that said I share your sentiment on some anime.
    Twitter | Facebook | Last.FM | Twitch.TV

PSN: Another-Castle | Steam: calebnaquin

In the subject of judging the performance of voice actors, its true that some don't give it their all or even care to make a good effort to begin with. I hear this a lot with voices provided by famous actors that normally don,t voice act, but I will restrain myself from ranting about this and how good voice actors don't get the attention they deserve. (Just look at video games for that one. Everyone knows about Nolan North, but the vast majority can probably not name a single other voice actor. I mean, Nolan North isn't even that great, he has just been in a lot or roles... Fine, no rants) I do however want to make the point that comparing the efforts to the original Japanese dub is a moot point unless you also comprehend spoken Japanese through a lot of first hand experience. I'm willing to bet that a lot of Japanese voice actors are just as mediocre or bad as the ones found in English dubs, we just wouldn't know it.

Back to the topic at hand, my favorite three English dubs in anime, in no particular order:
    Ghost in the Shell: A great cast and I prefer it as the subject mater is easier to get into and understand through spoken dialog rather then written subtitles.
    Full Metal Panic: More of a personal favorite as it has a lot of voice actors I like in it, and easily holds up to the high standards set by the Japanese dub in my opinion.
    Soul Eater: Probably the best English dub for a shonen action show. Especially with the voices fitting the characters by sounding very similar to the originals.

Top three are:
    1. Death Note
    2. Angel Beats
    3. Baka to Test

1.Dragon Ball
    2.Death Note (except for the ''I would like to tell you,I am L'' moment
    3.Hellsing

Quote Originally Posted by Exiles View Post

This is pretty much exactly what I was about to write. I cannot stand dubbed, period. The only dub I have ever appreciated was just as Exiles said: DBZ. If Goku's voice hadn't made me want to go out and violently shake small children and puppies to death I would have just gone sub, but sadly that was not the case. I don't know who the heck decided casting that voice for Goku was a good idea but whoever the heck they are really needs to be slapped a few times.

I watch almost all of my anime dubbed, unless it's not available, then I'll watch it subbed.

Cowboy Bebop probably has the best voice actors I've seen
    Ghost in the Shell SAC (NOT the film) has very good actors
    All Miyazaki films have top quality voice acting

That being said, I've never had to stop watching an anime because of the voice acting. I think perhaps you just like what you're used to. I watch a lot of dubbed anime, so I'm used to it. Others on here don't, so they start to detest it. Just like I find it kind of strange when I have to read subs, since I don't have to all that often these days.

Regarding specific voice actors... I would say Crispin Freeman is probably one of the most well known to me. He's voice acted roles in most of my favourate anime. Wendee Lee is probably the female version of Crispin Freeman, although I must admit there are a lot more well known female voice actors than male.
    Last edited by MidnightR; 05-07-2012 at 09:17 AM.

I don't think it's a matter of what I'm used to for myself. I mean, I grew up watching Toonami XD I think for me it's more about watching it the way it was originally created. Plus, I'm trying to learn Japanese so the subbed is super helpful for that.

1. Death note pulls it off just fine.
    2. Dragon ball nothing bad just.... i cant really explain it into words. at least english goku beats japanese goku.
    3. Probably soul eater. (It's actually a matter of what you watch first really. Thats what you'll get used to when you first hear subs you may think the dub sucks and vice versa.)

"Life never gets easy...... You just get better."
    My Anime List Signature by Me AblaZe/slash/HacKeR

1. Code Geass
    2. FMA
    3. Cowboy Bebop

Click for MyAnimeList.

Cowboy Bebop for sure, even the creator thinks the dub is amazing
    FMA: Brotherhood i thought was really good
    Trigun wasn't bad either

My three favorites are

Neon Genesis Evangelion
    FLCL
    Durarara!!

Quote Originally Posted by XERITH! View Post

Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Cowboy Bebop

I'm surprised you could stand neon genesis dubbed. That's the one anime I couldn't stand in English, primarily shinji in English just seems so whiny. However To me whatever I first watch a series I get locked into it. Like if I start in english I bound the characters to that voice and vice versa