Welcome to Anime-Forums.com - Piercing the heavens, GIGA-A4-BRREKKAH

Valvrave the Liberator Season 2

The second season of laser space vampire high schoolers piloting suicidal mechs against space-nazis and space-USA.

Kill la Kill

Ryuko is searching for her father's murderer, her only clue half of a pair of giant scissors. She transfers into Honnoji Academy, a dystopian high school ruled by the student council who possess Goku Uniforms; uniforms imbued with super powers.

Pokemon Origin

A reboot/retelling of the original Pokemon game, featuring Red and Green as the protagonist and rival. Much grittier and truer to the Pokemon manga Adventures in tone and direction.

Kyoukai no Kanata

A pair of high schoolers, a half youmu boy and a girl who can wield blood magic, wind up involved in super natural events occurring in their town.

Hajime no Ippo Rising

Long awaited new season of the well-known anime and manga, about a young boxer named Ippo rising up through Japan's ranks, as he aims for a match against his rival, Miyata.

Space Dandy

The Dandiest Man in Space, Dandy, is an alien hunter searching for undiscovered species with his robot assistant QT and a cat alien named Meow.

Samurai Flamenco

An eccentric male model decides to become a super hero in order to become a hero of justice, despite having no super powers.

Anime-Forums is a web based community that hosts discussions on the topic of Japanese Animations with the primary focus of having content that is driven by the community. As a member, you're able to:

• Join Social Groups
  • Create a Personal Blog
  • Participate in Seasonal Banner Creations
  • Write Articles that appear on the main spotlight!

Dont have an account? Register

Default How to act in someone else's home

My parents are heading off to vacation for about 20 or so days, even though I'm done with High School, I don't have a place of my own, so I have to stay with my older cousin. She's about 37 give or take, and is single. This is the first time that I'll be staying at someone else's house for a very long duration of time. I'm a little concerned that it's going to become quite awkward while staying there, and I also feel quite weird staying there as well. What exactly do you guys do when you are staying at someone else's place for a long time? Obviously I need to be neat, and not leave a mess wherever I go. I'll have plenty to do since her sister lives upstairs and has a kid that will need watching. But how specifically would you act?

Eh, you're probably giving it too much thought. Be clean, be respectful, put the seat down, etc. It's always awkward staying somewhere new but you should feel fine after the first couple of days. Chill out.

Be respectful, considerate, polite, and courteous, but do not act too distant. You are family after all.

喜びの糸はカノン紡ぎ出す

Strut around the house butt-naked. Be a slob and leave your stuff everywhere. Make yourself at home and fart. A lot.

No, just act like you would in your own home if you were trying to impress someone. Just clean up after yourself and try not to cause trouble. Also, don't act like a stranger, especially if it's your cousin.
    If you could gasp for air with my hands around your throat,
    I'm sure you'd choke out all those lines that, by now, I could quote
    Signature by Aoide

Helping with cleaning (especially after yourself) is a must and helping with shopping bills is always a hit.

Just respect their space while at the same time not shutting yourself away in your room. If there is one tv in the house, she gets dibs on what you watch. Yes I know no one watches tv but most of the preceived awkwardness is likely to occur in the living room.
    Do You Even YOLO Bro?

Just listen to what she says and act normal. If you act weird she may think you are afraid or scared or her. If she talks to you, talk back to her. Really simple stuff.

I would act like I would want a guest in my house to act like. Offer to do the dishes, light housework and the such, it helps that you are family.
    Last edited by dmmj; 06-28-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Kick open the front door, march in drinking a beer, and declare yourself Duke of the Living Room. Be sure to urinate on objects and people you decide are "yours" as to let the other, lesser beings know that this is your territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Algaliarept View Post
    Kick open the front door, march in drinking a beer, and declare yourself Duke of the Living Room. Be sure to urinate on objects and people you decide are "yours" as to let the other, lesser beings know that this is your territory.
    Alright, well that's not going to happen, lol. I'm just wondering if I should bring my PS3 over, or just my laptop. I mean, is it rude to hook up your video game device to someone else's TV? Also, I'm staying in a room where the TV is, so I don't think that's going to be too much of a problem. She also works during the week, and goes to church on Sundays. So I guess I'll be alone for a good duration of the time. Thanks for all the help everyone, it's made me feel a lot more relaxed about this.

United States Marine
    • Jan 2012
    • Leadership is serving others.
    • Male

Treat King Richards Castle (Kingdom) with great care and responsibility, lest you suffer Prince John's fate.
    "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose.
    That is not weakness. That is life."

A few of my piano performances:

Spoiler

In general at a minimum, leave things the way you found them.

If you want to help out and clean, cook, whatever that is up to you. Basically just act how you would at a friend's house in front of their parents ( on your best behavior ).

If you want to hook up the ps3, just ask. It will most likely not be an issue, but asking politely can go a long way.

Otherwise, don't make a mess, don't get in the way, don't disrupt the flow of the house, and don't be loud.

So.. you've finished school, but your parents still won't leave you at the house for 20 days? huh?

But seriously, common courtesy. It's not that hard.

Personally I am against the urinating everywhere and raping the hostess idea.

Fed to the Rancor.

• Apr 2003
    • Ask if you want
    • Male

But we've got to have AIDS before we pee in her eye socket.

Common courtesy, of course, is a must. Cleaning up after yourself, and offering to help out.

If in doubt, honestly, ask about the rules of the house.

I always felt the need to help out, even if my hosts say, "No need, you're the guest." I do things anyway... Little things like dishes, taking out trash, sweeping, etc. can really help out and show you appreciate their hospitality.

Quote Originally Posted by ronin_the_great View Post
    Alright, well that's not going to happen, lol. I'm just wondering if I should bring my PS3 over, or just my laptop. I mean, is it rude to hook up your video game device to someone else's TV? Also, I'm staying in a room where the TV is, so I don't think that's going to be too much of a problem. She also works during the week, and goes to church on Sundays. So I guess I'll be alone for a good duration of the time. Thanks for all the help everyone, it's made me feel a lot more relaxed about this.
    Bring it with you, ask if it'd be alright to hook it up when no one else is using the tv. Pretty simple. That way you're respecting her authority and not overstepping your bounds. 37 is fairly young, so I'm sure she at least has a passing familiarity with video games, and won't think you hooking it up means her tv is broken or going to explode.

Is it an apartment or a house? Sounds like a house by your description, but just try to avoid being too loud at odd hours, so you aren't bothering her neighbors either. If it was an apartment, even more so.

Like everyone else has said, just don't be a slob and offer to help out with chores and whatnot, if you can cook that might be appreciated too since you could be working on stuff for when people get home. It kinda sucks having to do more work in the form of cooking after a long day, so that would be pretty thoughtful if you have any culinary skill.

If you are just mannered and make an effort to help out around the house I wouldn't worry about anything else to be honest, if you just follow those two things I am sure your stay will go just swimmingly.

It's gone pretty smoothly so far, we went food shopping yesterday so I don't have to wait for her to make anything to eat. From what I understand we will be eating out a lot, so I'll have to come "heavy" lol. I ended up not bringing my PS3 because my suitcase was heavy enough. I'll be here until the 17th of July, and I anticipate that my stay here will fly by. I haven't really had to do much of any work so far, but I guess I'll get my fair share when it comes time for laundry.