Welcome to Anime-Forums.com - Piercing the heavens, GIGA-A4-BRREKKAH

Valvrave the Liberator Season 2

The second season of laser space vampire high schoolers piloting suicidal mechs against space-nazis and space-USA.

Kill la Kill

Ryuko is searching for her father's murderer, her only clue half of a pair of giant scissors. She transfers into Honnoji Academy, a dystopian high school ruled by the student council who possess Goku Uniforms; uniforms imbued with super powers.

Pokemon Origin

A reboot/retelling of the original Pokemon game, featuring Red and Green as the protagonist and rival. Much grittier and truer to the Pokemon manga Adventures in tone and direction.

Kyoukai no Kanata

A pair of high schoolers, a half youmu boy and a girl who can wield blood magic, wind up involved in super natural events occurring in their town.

Hajime no Ippo Rising

Long awaited new season of the well-known anime and manga, about a young boxer named Ippo rising up through Japan's ranks, as he aims for a match against his rival, Miyata.

Space Dandy

The Dandiest Man in Space, Dandy, is an alien hunter searching for undiscovered species with his robot assistant QT and a cat alien named Meow.

Samurai Flamenco

An eccentric male model decides to become a super hero in order to become a hero of justice, despite having no super powers.

Anime-Forums is a web based community that hosts discussions on the topic of Japanese Animations with the primary focus of having content that is driven by the community. As a member, you're able to:

• Join Social Groups
  • Create a Personal Blog
  • Participate in Seasonal Banner Creations
  • Write Articles that appear on the main spotlight!

Dont have an account? Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favorite 70s or 80s anime?

A lot of "old school anime" talk here seems to default here to anime from the 90s. But what about the 70s and 80s? What are some of your favorite 70s and 80s anime?

Me, I like:

70s:
    Gatchaman
    Lupin the Third
    Mobile Suit Gundam

80s:
    Maison Ikkoku
    Gunbuster
    Macross
    Visit Ikkokufan1's Youtube channel right here!

Spoiler

Ooh!! Lupin the third, I like that! And is Dragon Ball considered? It`s pretty old already.

save music | ASK ME ANYTHING OVER HERE | need help with your Geometry homework?

• Apr 2008
    • the place where the dark dreams and the light bleeds
    • Male

My favorite would have to be Nausica.
    death has walked
    you have ran

I could have sworn Nausicaa was newer than that, but it's not.

I've only got the dimmest memories of 70s anime, and most of those are of Americanized versions, but that's really where I got my start. I remember really liking Tranzor Z/Mazinkaiser, Battle of the Planets/Gatchaman, and Star Blazers/Space Battleship Yamato. One of the things I've been wondering about lately is how heavily changed Speed Racer was- there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of room for changing anything, but that could just be because I was so used to the way it was.

In the 80s, I really liked Macross and Dirty Pair. I really like the Patlabor franchise and stuff like Nausicaa and Totoro, Vampire Hunter D, but I came across them in the 90s or even 00s, so I don't know if they count. I guess they do, since they're all (or mostly) from the 80s. It seems like there were a bunch of good movies in the 80s, but that was also back when anime was on VHS and nobody was paing the money to get an entire series at $20 an episode (imagine trying to track down Ranma 1/2 at $20 an episode!) or wait the hours it took to copy a bunch of fansub VHS- so maybe it's more a matter of how anime was distributed than there actually being more good movies then.

Shame that hardly anything that old ever gets licensed for release here in the states.

70's would be Lupin The Third, Galaxy Express 999 and MSG 0079.

80's: Maison Ikkoku, Urusei Yatsura, Stop!! Hibari-kun, Ranma 1/2 and Zeta Gundam

Also Ghibli's early works like Kiki's delivery service and Laputa etc.

70's: Space Battleship Yamato, Future Boy Conan, MSG. There weren't that many shows from the 70's that I've seen that I really liked. When I was a kid I was really into Mazinger Z and Getter Robo G when they aired but when I watch them now, I can't get into them anymore.

80's: Gauche the Cellist, Grave of the Fireflies, Maison Ikkoku, SDF Macross, Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer, The Wings of Honneamise, Legend of the Galactic Heroes and My Conquest is the Sea of Stars (if that can be considered 80's, most of it was released in the 90's), Toward the Terra (the movie).

80's

Urusei Yatsura
    Ranma 1/2
    Fist of the North Star
    Saint Seiya
    Kimagure Orange Road
    Legend Of The Galactic Heroes

70's

Lupin The 3rd

---

Sorry I don't know many from the 70's

YOU WA SHOCK

ED. Extended Discussion...Or Erectile Dysfunction?

The only 70's one I really watched was Lupin the Third.

80's I liked Mason Ikkoku, Grave of the Fireflies, and can I consider the Berserk manga 80's? Since it was made in 1988...
    Signature Made by Me.

Reviving this thread, because 70s and 80s anime need their love...

Not long ago I started looking at clips from Macross: Do You Remember Love? again. Epic movie, best animation of the decade...

Spoiler

Cool 70's & 80's

From series, it's sure Lupin III. Other series were.. how to say it.. uninteresting.
    From films all Ghiblies

Quote Originally Posted by IcareAlot View Post
    'I see dead threads. They think they still have discussion value but the best they can hope for are shitty pic posts with fairly obvious captions. They're ****ing everywhere'.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. X & Mr. Y View Post
    From series, it's sure Lupin III. Other series were.. how to say it.. uninteresting.
    From films all Ghiblies
    If you're talking about the 70s:
    The Galaxy Express movie was excellent, in fact Captain Harlock in general is supposed to be pretty good. Also love the original Mobile Suit Gundam from 1979

If you're talking about the 80s: Are you nuts? the 80s had classics like Macross, Zeta Gundam, Project A-ko, Urusei Yatsura (especially the second movie), Bubblegum Crisis...

Maison Ikkoku is an amazing series from the 80s.

Spoiler

70s: Heidi, Girl of the Alps and Candy Candy were great shows from my childhood.

80s: Round Vernian Vifam is a disgustingly underrated show with an awesome opening. Patlabor is one of the few comedies I enjoy.

Despite how few 80's anime I've seen, Maison Ikkoku remains one of my favourite anime of any decade. Kimagure Orange Road was alright, compared to much of today's tripe but nothing special. Touch however, is brilliant 80's anime. It's almost as good as Maison Ikkoku, which says a lot. For all of you retroheads out there, if you haven't seen Touch yet check it out. It's one of very few anime able to last 101 episodes and maintain a dramatic, overarking storyline with practically no fillers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikkokufan1 View Post
    A lot of "old school anime" talk here seems to default here to anime from the 90s. But what about the 70s and 80s? What are some of your favorite 70s and 80s anime?

70s:
    Gatchaman
    Lupin the Third
    Mobile Suit Gundam

80s:
    Maison Ikkoku
    Gunbuster
    Macross
    My sig agrees with you man.

I would also add
    Akira
    Gundam Zeta.
    Wings of Honeamese
    Space Runway Ideon

and the aformentioned Touch from Foxy Dirty Pair from Lizzard .

One you all might not get a chance to see from being pretty rare, is Hi-Speed Jecy. Character designs were by Haruhiko Mikimoto, who also did Macross. It had some great OAV style animation (on par with Crusher Joe/Dirty pair movies)and a character named Fork Green who would be the equivalent of a good looking bad boy good guy.

I love classic anime

Lupin the 3rd
    Galaxy Express 999
    Project A-ko
    Cutie Honey
    Cats Eye
    Macross
    Gatchaman
    Speed Racer
    Gall Force
    Ranma 1/2
    Urusei Yatsura

the list goes on.

alot of the lesser known (by american standards) OAVs are all great 'ol '80's style ultra violence.

MD police files- especially the Ripper and the man who bites his tongue are excellent examples of old style anime shootin' stuff.

and of course

Evangelion

but lets not even go there...

Armitage and it's many sequals are also pretty crazy.

I used to love Voltron/Golion! If you could even consider that anime. lol

Lupin The III!!!
    So funny.

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
    Blue Comet SPT Layzner
    Armored Trooper Votoms
    Xabungle
    Heavy Metal L Gaim

Honestly, most 80's mecha. ;D

Mecha thing was in during that Era... My favorites are Voltes V, Diamos & Voltron (although I'm not pretty sure to what decade they actually belong)...

I saw some Lupin III vote, I didn't know it was that old but I definitely liked that series..

There are also some dramatic / touching anime I've watched when I was still growing up.. like Cedie, Remi, Mary and the secret garden, Heidi (I just saw one posted then my childhood memories came back to life), Romeo, the adventures of Huck Finn / Tom Sawyer etc... (Could someone tell me the place where this kind of animation originated? - I dunno if they're Japanese animation)
    Last edited by J.CoolKid1412; 08-25-2009 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Updates

I seriously lack anime from the 70's / 80's, but Grave of the Fireflies, one of my all-time favorites ^_^

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Exclamation These sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Ikkokufan1 View Post
    Also love the original Mobile Suit Gundam from 1979

If you're talking about the 80s: Are you nuts? the 80s had classics like Macross, Zeta Gundam,
    Yup, this is what I was talking about. Uninteresting, shallow things...

Could be find in any decade, altough nowadays more than before

Quote Originally Posted by IcareAlot View Post
    'I see dead threads. They think they still have discussion value but the best they can hope for are shitty pic posts with fairly obvious captions. They're ****ing everywhere'.

Nice to see a tread about the classics that are sadly often forgotten about nowadays where newer anime fans have not only seen shows that are less then five years old and say the show they have watched right now is the best ever, and have then forgotten about said show the next month when another new show has started. Yes, its no secret I don't like some of the shallow never anime fans.

That said, most of the series I have watched is from the 90s, but there are some great ones from earlier as well. As already mentioned, the best anime movie out there is indeed Macross: Do You Remember Love. One of my first anime was a really bad series but i still love it, Dominion Tank Police from 1988. Gundam started here as well, and although i still haven't finished Zeta, thats a great series. I still have a lot of series to watch from this era, but those are some of my favorites. Sci-fi was really good in this era, with the dawn of the real robot genre and super robots still going strong among other good series without any robots at all.